Andrea Guy's Reviews > In the Flesh

In the Flesh by Portia Da Costa

Apr 11, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012-reads, ebook, harlequin, historical-romance, netgalley, readingromanceschallenge2012
Read from April 11 to 20, 2012

I wish I could say this was a great erotic story. The problem with it is that it is trying to be two things and it doesn't succeed in either. Portia has a great plot, but it never follows through.

Why?

The story is told through too many perspectives, Bea, Edmund Ellsworth Ritchie (and by the end of the book when you see his whole name written out, you will want to hurl your book or device at the wall), and Polly.

Along with too many insights, you have too much sex and not enough story. Bea and Richie have sex, but their relationship almost progresses in a historical romance kind of way. Polly has sex with Bea's brother, Charlie and Ritchie's servant Jamie..who is also having sex with Charlie..oh and they all have sex together..I mean, Charlie, Polly and Jamie.

Yeah. Lots of sex here.

Oh and allow me to add...STOP CALLING IT A PUSS!!!!!

Ahem!

I think this could have been a great book, if it hadn't tried to be erotica. I would have liked to have known about each character, as it stands, none of the characters really make you care about them, and the sex doesn't even get you all bothered when you are reading it. The abrupt ending of certain scenes doesn't help the story much.

It took me much more time to finish this book then I wanted to. It is a shame the book was such a disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Flesh.