Melanie Coombes's Reviews > An Uncommon Education

Apr 11, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: first-reads
Read from June 01 to 04, 2012

Naomi Feinstein is a young girl when we first meet her. Her father has barely survived a heart attack and her mother is practically invisible due to severe depression. It is around this time that Naomi decides she wants to become a doctor and attend the prestigious Wellesley College. When her only real friend, Teddy abruptly departs from her life, it's the first devastating loss from which Naomi is not sure she can recover. In the meantime, off she heads for college after getting accepted in Wellesley.

Naomi soon discovers that she is just as lonely at college until the one day she sees a girl fall into the freezing waters of a lake. Soon after finds herself invited into the Shakespeare Society and she makes her first friends. It is towards the end of the novel, when a close friend is involved in an incident at school, that Naomi realizes she can not save everyone around her.

The description of the book sounded much more intriguing than it really was to me. The Shakespeare Society was described as mysterious with secret rituals, but I kept waiting for all the secrecy and intrigue...nothing...Then the end of the book describes a scandal with irrevocable consequences. I kept waiting for this shocking event and really it was a small incident that one person basically decided to walk away from...hmmm. The writing is good, the characters are okay, but not very likable, sort of cold and distant. Unfortunately the plot was way too slow for me.

I received this book as part of the Goodreads Firstreads program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Uncommon Education.