Ashley Houser's Reviews > A Stranger on the Beach

A Stranger on the Beach by Michele Campbell

liked it

Middle aged man and woman having marital problems. Woman meets young, sexy man on beach and affair ensues. But then things start to get out of hand.

The first half of this book was incredible. It reminded me of You by Caroline Kepnes and I loved the stalkerish feel. I was totally invested in the affair and was wrapped up in where the author was going to take it. The second half.... was more of a struggle for me. It took a completely different turn which ended up feeling a little bit long and drawn out.

To be completely honest, I saw where this book was headed from a mile away so I've got to say that I didn't really find any of the twists to be all that surprising. But, despite that, I still enjoyed the story.

One major issue: I don't want to give anything away, but now that I know the ending, I have a hard time understanding the decisions of some of the main characters in the beginning. They made sense at the time when I was living under certain assumptions, but given how everything transpired, some of the narration at the start doesn't really work. So I had a hard time with the inconsistency, but I'm willing to look past it.

-I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Michelle Campbell, and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to review.-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Stranger on the Beach.

December 28, 2019 – Started Reading
December 28, 2019 – Shelved
December 28, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 5, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Brandice Great review, Ashley! I felt similarly - Enjoyed the first half but it fell flat quickly for me as it progressed.