Amy's Reviews > Moby-Duck: The True Story of 28,800 Bath Toys Lost at Sea and of the Beachcombers, Oceanographers, Environmentalists, and Fools, Including the Author, Who Went in Search of Them

Moby-Duck by Donovan Hohn

Apr 11, 2012

bookshelves: abandoned, reviewed

I began having my doubts about this book a few nights ago. I thought that this really was going to be about these bath toys that went overboard, but honestly, I'm not sure what was going on with this book. There were so many tiny fonted words so tightly packed together in modestly spaced sentences, and so few of these words seemed to be about these toys, that I wondered if perhaps the author was prone to wandering off topic. Well, yes, yes he is prone to that. In fact, he jumps from insight to insight like a flea jumps from dog to cat! There's a lot of motion in this book, it's just that nothing seemed related, and it certainly didn't seem to congeal into a narrative about these bath toys. The way the author approached this story didn't appeal to me, and I lost interest. I decided to abandon Moby-Duck when it hit me in the chin when I fell asleep reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby-Duck.

04/24/2012 page 46
11.0% "Well, I'm not sure what I'm thinking of this one yet. Ever since reading Ducky with my niece and nephew I've been interested in the tale of this particular flotsam. But so far this book is disjointed in spots, and I'm starting to think it might be longer than strictly necessary. Not unlike this update. :-)"