Chris Huff's Reviews > AGAPE: The Infinite, Ultimate Love of God

AGAPE by David Young

Solid, easy-to-digest teaching on agape in the Bible.

There's nothing really wrong with this book. It summarizes and expounds on many of the key passages of Scripture that deal with God's love and our response to God's love. It would make for a good book study in a small group, especially since nearly every chapter ends with questions that can be used for discussion.

My only real critisicm of the book is that it just doesn't go far enough in capturing just how radical God's love is. I'm not sure any book can really capture it, since it's higher than the heavens and deeper than the seas. So maybe it's not fair for me to criticize a book for something that might be impossible to do.

And yet, it seems to me that a book about agape ought to admit on nearly every page that we can't even come close to fathoming how great God's love is. We can't put His love in a box. We can't do it justice with our meager descriptions. For the perfect, righteous, and holy God to love undeserving, helplessly broken sinners such as ourselves isn't just awesome, it's insane! I certainly don't mean to say that God is crazy, but that's the closest way I can possibly express what it is for God to love me.

I think the author certainly meant to convey the same thing. But it just doesn't quite get there.

But I think I probably state this critisicm too forcefully. As I wrote at the start, this is a solid book about agape. And God's love is definitely worth meditating upon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read AGAPE.

Started Reading