Chris Huff's Reviews > God's Perfect Child: Living and Dying in the Christian Science Church

God's Perfect Child by Caroline Fraser

liked it

I grew up frequently attending a Christian Science church. My grandparents were CS, and they took me to church with them for awhile. It wasn't until years later that I found out how much error the church taught.

This quote from the book basically sums up the contradiction of CS:

"practitioners-who cannot diagnose disease or illness-are allowed to sign certificates for sick leave and disability, although the Church has never explained how practitioners can verify conditions they don't believe in." (p. 274)

God's Perfect Child is a well-researched handbook of sorts about CS. The title, of course, is tongue and cheek. It does not entertain the idea that Mary Baker Eddy was God's Perfect Child, but only that she and her followers seemed to think that she was. The first half of the book deals most with Mary Baker Eddy, while the second half deals primarily with the church after her death.

Read the first half. Skim the rest.

It's amazing to me, given all the facts that are contained in this work, that anybody believed Mary Baker Eddy at all. She appears to have been an eccentric, egotistical, paranoid fanatic. But she must have been somewhat charismatic and convincing to have gained such a following.

The author does not come across as having an ax to grind. She acknowledges some good that CS has accomplished. But overall, she documents a huge piles controversies and cover-ups that surround the CS church.

I would rate this higher if it weren't so tedious to get through. While it, of course, deals primarily with CS, it's also a piercing warning to everyone to be careful to believe truth, not mixed with any error.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God's Perfect Child.

Started Reading