Joyce's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Apr 11, 2012

bookshelves: great-reads, relaxing-reads, young-adult-reads, reviewed-reads, favourite-reads, thriller-reads
Read from April 21 to 22, 2012

I was at first sceptical of the book on the presumption that after all the hype that surrounded the movie release, it is quite possibly overrated. I expected a plot line similar to Twilight, something shallow and lacking emotional depth focused on catering to the hopelessly romantic teenagers. Boy, was I wrong - I was addicted to it after the first chapter.

Katniss Everdeen is not your typical damsel in distress, waiting to be rescued by some shallow knight in shining armour. She is quite an actress, in fact - Feigning mild charm and air-headedness in front of the Hunger Games audience, but reverting to outright hostility and calculative behind the cameras. She has sharp intuition, with a steely determination to not display any weakness in front of the audience or grant the Capitol officials any satisfaction for their control over the Game. Overall, a very likeable female protagonist.

However, those who watch the movie before reading the book might gain little satisfaction from the reading experience. The movie follows the book very closely, except for the last chapter.

I am definitely looking forward to its sequel, Catching Fire. Right now, I think I favor Peeta over Gale, but mostly because Gale has minimal character development compared to Peeta in The Hunger Games.

A very easy, entertaining read - Characters definitely not as one-dimensional as those in Twilight, and the theme focuses more on survival in the face of adversity than shallow romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.