Sassafrass's Reviews > Delighting in Your Company

Delighting in Your Company by Blair McDowell

bookshelves: z-2012, paranormal-romance, romance, z-the-romance-reviews, z-challenge-books-2012, z-src-spr12

A review for The Romance Reviews.

DELIGHTING IN YOUR COMPANY is a unique paranormal romance that brings together island folklore, history, and mystery with an unlikely romance between the past and present that had me going through a torrent of emotions and made it impossible to put down.

This is the story of Amalie, a woman from L.A. who travels to her long lost cousin's house on a small Caribbean island. She's licking her wounds after just ending a disastrous marriage. She needs a place to do this and St. Clements Island seems like an ideal place. She's sworn off men, so imagine her surprise when she meets up with handsome plantation owner Jonathan. He'd be perfect for her, except for one tiny problem: he's a ghost!

Jonathan has been walking around St. Clements for over two hundred years since his murder in the 1800's. He's surprised that Amalie sees him, but he feels like she may be the key to solving his murder.

When Amalie agrees to go to the past with him, they don't just find answers, they find love. But now she's torn because solving the mystery means possibly losing out on a love that has gone beyond the boundaries of time.

DELIGHTING IN YOUR COMPANY was so interesting. I was intrigued by the blurb because I had no idea how the author was going to pull off the story. I was pleasantly surprised. I think the notion of the island legends and magic help lend to the overall tone of the story. Yes, it's paranormal romance, so you're supposed to suspend reality, but the historical accuracy of the island made the plot even better.

The mystery and time travel aspect of the book were definitely my favorites. Going back to the 1800's with a 21st century woman was quite amusing. Amalie had a hard time fitting into the mold of a well-bred young lady of that time. I can imagine that many modern women would have the same struggles.

The only problem that I had with the book was that I was struggling with the romance between Amalie and Jonathan. With his feelings wrapped up with the present day Amalie and the Amalie of the past, it was truly hard for me to get into it. Also, I didn't love the ending, but it was just my take on it.

Overall though, DELIGHTING IN YOUR COMPANY was a well-written story that blended many genres: namely mystery, paranormal, romance, and fantasy. I loved the author's unique approach to the story line. This is my first time reading a novel by Blair McDowell, but she got me so wrapped up in the world she created in this book, I don't believe that it will be my last.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delighting in Your Company.

April 8, 2012 – Started Reading