Corina's Reviews > Such a Fun Age

Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid

it was ok

It’s hard to write a review about a book that left me so undecided. I think the biggest issue I had with this novel was trying to connect with any of the characters. Besides the relationship between Emira, and her charge, which was genuine and heartwarming, the story itself failed to draw me in deeply enough to become passionate about it.

The writing was acceptable for a debut novel, but I felt the execution was choppy at times. The way the plot was structured and told, especially the backstory, sounded too clinical, and dispassionate and sometimes even disjointed. But besides that the novel was easy to read, and it had some compelling and definitely thought provoking moments.

Emira’s voice felt genuine and authentic. And her relationship with her charge was the soul and heart of this story. Whereas the relationship between mother and caregiver was unhealthy, thanks to a strange obsession from the mother's side, and brought with it a slew of other issues. Also, besides Emira and Blair (the child) none of the other characters were relatable, likable, or felt authentic. It's hard to feel passionate about a book if I feel so indifferent about the cast of characters.

Oh and the ending left much to desire.

But even though this book wasn’t as compelling for me as it was for many others. The topics and relationships depicted in this book will make for great book club material.

ARC generously provided in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Fun Age.

December 27, 2019 – Shelved
December 27, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 2, 2020 – Started Reading
January 2, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

message 1: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam VanOoyen I felt the exact same way!! Just an ok read

Corina Pam wrote: "I felt the exact same way!! Just an ok read"

Pam, I'm really glad I'm not the only one feeling like this. Seeing all these high starred reviews, I wondered if I was missing something significant, if I maybe read a different book, or just didn't get it.

Thanks for letting me know......

Katie Not just you. I really wanted to like it but I quit about a quarter of the way in. I found myself rolling my eyes at almost all of the characters as they were introduced because they seemed so inauthentic and contrived, to me. Maybe there was a point to that and I missed it, considering what great reviews it's getting, but I just couldn't get into it at all.

Corina Katie wrote: "Not just you. I really wanted to like it but I quit about a quarter of the way in. I found myself rolling my eyes at almost all of the characters as they were introduced because they seemed so inau..."

I was truly starting to doubt myself especially after all these glowing reviews, and was wondering if I missed something all together. It feels strange to be the odd one out, lol.

Kathryn in FL I've read about 40 pages and I feel the same. I came here wondering if anybody else felt a total disconnect from characters. I really liked the idea. I know a black mom who was taken in for questioning as she was entering her apartment with her toddler because her very white daughter was thought not to be hers by an officer passing by. Her daughter's father is white but not present. This happened in NYC 30 years ago.

Corina Kathryn in FL wrote: "I've read about 40 pages and I feel the same. I came here wondering if anybody else felt a total disconnect from characters. I really liked the idea. I know a black mom who was taken in for questio..."

Kathryn, you are not alone!!! Although I actually loved how the story started. It was on point and relevant. Unfortunately it derailed for me soon after and it was hard for me to enjoy a book where I struggled to relate and connect with most of the characters.

Rebecca I just don't understand the hype. It's as if reviewers are rating the importance of the issues raised (race, class) rather than the writing and actual plot.

Corina Rebecca wrote: "I just don't understand the hype. It's as if reviewers are rating the importance of the issues raised (race, class) rather than the writing and actual plot."

Rebecca, I was thinking the same!!!

Amanda Same! I was so excited for this book, but I felt it was really underwhelming.

Corina Amanda wrote: "Same! I was so excited for this book, but I felt it was really underwhelming."

It's the hardest when a hugely popular book falls flat. I start doubting myself and wonder if I was missing something, or just didn't get it.

message 11: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa I’ve been feeling the same! Disappointed & DNF but wondering if I missed something.

Corina Vanessa wrote: "I’ve been feeling the same! Disappointed & DNF but wondering if I missed something."

It does make me wonder. Especially if I see all these 5 star reviews, it feels like I read a completely different book. But books and stories are all about taste, and sometimes a book just doesn't sync with one person, and it's the best thing since sliced bread for another. That's one thing I love about this community, we all have different tastes.

message 13: by Kate (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kate Picher I'm so glad to read your review. I feel like I just read the same story over and over and over again. That is, the Alex/Kelley high school story. I wanted to live this book, but the characters were one dimensional, the plot was straight out of a K-drama, a the writing was flat. I'm sad about that.

Corina Kate wrote: "I'm so glad to read your review. I feel like I just read the same story over and over and over again. That is, the Alex/Kelley high school story. I wanted to live this book, but the characters were..."

It's like we read a completely different book from everyone else. But that's books for you, not everyone is going to work out. Glad we all have different tastes, otherwise it would be boring. :D

Carol I just abandoned this book at p190 (60%) It was so interesting, then seemed like it kept getting more and more divisive. Just not for me ...

Corina Carol wrote: "I just abandoned this book at p190 (60%) It was so interesting, then seemed like it kept getting more and more divisive. Just not for me ..."

I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you. Hopefully next one will be better..... I had hight hopes too ;-(

Meredith I completely agree! Briar’s relationship with Emira (and mostly just from Briar’s end) was the only redeeming part of the book for me. I felt no connection whatsoever to any of the characters. I scratched my head as I read through all of the rave reviews....but was glad to see that my opinion was not alone.

Corina Meredith wrote: "I completely agree! Briar’s relationship with Emira (and mostly just from Briar’s end) was the only redeeming part of the book for me. I felt no connection whatsoever to any of the characters. I sc..."

Meredith - I'm glad I'm not alone with my onion either. It's good to know that even so we are in the minority we are not alone. :D

Angie I'm mostly enjoying the story but the writing is lacking something. Things feel a little forced and any scene with more than two characters is very clunky. I'm on page 240 so I'm going to push to the end....but so far I agree with another commenter: people are grading this on the social commentary and not the actual writing.

Maude Fafard Soucy I feel the same way! I feel like the writing was a bit sloppy and in general it failed in getting me to care about Emira's struggles. The whole Alix and Kelley's story was sloppy and poorly written

Corina Angie wrote: "I'm mostly enjoying the story but the writing is lacking something. Things feel a little forced and any scene with more than two characters is very clunky. I'm on page 240 so I'm going to push to t..."

Angie, I have the feeling too that people are not necessary starring it for the quality of the writing.

Corina Maude wrote: "I feel the same way! I feel like the writing was a bit sloppy and in general it failed in getting me to care about Emira's struggles. The whole Alix and Kelley's story was sloppy and poorly written"

I really need to feel something for the characters, otherwise what's the point.... and unfortunately this book made it impossible.

Kennie I found Emira and her friends to be very relatable, but I see myself and my friends reflected in them- a group of young Black women making their way through society while dealing with the subtle and often unintentional racism of pseudo-woke white women. That seems like a very specific thing to relate to lol, but it's actually kind of universal.

message 24: by Corina (last edited Feb 19, 2020 10:08AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Corina Kennie wrote: "I found Emira and her friends to be very relatable, but I see myself and my friends reflected in them- a group of young Black women making their way through society while dealing with the subtle an..."

I'm glad you were able to connect with Emira and her friends. Connecting with characters is such an important part of reading.