Parka's Reviews > Singapore

Singapore by Gregory Byrne Bracken

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: art-books

Singapore: A Walking Tour
(More pictures on my blog)

Singapore: A Walking Tour is a travel guidebook that's slightly different from usual ones - this one uses sketches to illustrate places instead of photos.

The chapters are all walks around the city area. The area has many tall modern buildings, but the book focuses more on the old buildings that have been conserved to remember the history of the place. Of course there are more modern buildings as well.

There's a map at the start of each chapter with a list of buildings you can see along the route. Each building has interesting snippets of information that I don't even know, and I live in Singapore.

The beautiful sketches are drawn by Gregory Byrne Bracken. The sketches are line work with no washes but they are very fine and detailed. The artist is an architect and it shows in the sketches through the nice composition, perspective and details. He manages to capture the essence of the place very well.

As a travel guidebook for Singapore, I'll highly recommend this. Get this if you want to walk the streets, understand Singapore better, check out the less touristy but significant places.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Singapore.