Stevie Carroll's Reviews > Someone to Love

Someone to Love by Jenny Frame

bookshelves: reviewed-elsewhere

Previously reviewed on The Good, The Bad, and The Unread:

Although I love Jenny Frame’s contemporary novels generally, I wasn’t particularly taken with Unexpected, partly because of the OTT behaviour of the protagonists’ ex-girlfriends. I was intrigued by the premise of this one, and decided to see if one of those ex-girlfriends could, indeed, be redeemed. Davina Trent – just Trent to her friends – broke up with Becca prior to the previous book, because she didn’t want a family, whereas Becca did. Although she is secretly a little envious of how Becca’s life has turned out, Trent’s work as a divorce lawyer has further convinced her that there’s no such thing as a happy ever after for most people. And then two children come into her life, turning everything upside down, especially Trent’s long-held beliefs and expectations.

The children in question are the son and daughter of Trent’s cousin – and childhood friend – David, and they have survived a car crash in which he was killed instantly, their mother having died three years earlier. When Trent meets the children, she wants as little to do with them as possible, but has to take them home with her if they aren’t to end up in the care of Social Services and to face the possibility of being split up. Trent is convinced that the best place for them will be boarding school – in spite of their young ages – and determines to hire a nanny until places can be arranged.

Wendy Darling – her father had a sense of humour when naming her – dropped out of university after an ex took all her money and left her with massive debts. After spending five years working abroad, Wendy has cleared those debts and is in a position to return and finish her degree. A short-term nannying contract, with accommodation, is exactly what she needs to tide her over until term starts. Of course, she hadn’t bargained on falling so hard for both her charges and their guardian.

Trent and Wendy are both understandably damaged by their respective childhoods – we see quite a lot of indications of what happened in both, and while Wendy did at least have grandparents who loved her, she has also had her trust in people shattered by her ex’s behaviour. Slowly but surely we see them learn to live together and to reach out to each other in times of need, and without at first realising it, they and the children become a proper family.

I loved this book so much and was also very glad that we get to revisit Becca and Dale from the first book – and their children – under less trying circumstances. I’d love to see more books in this series now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone to Love.

Started Reading