Dani Shuping's Reviews > One Year in Coal Harbor

Apr 10, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: not-amazon

ARC provided by NetGalley

It’s true I’m probably not the age for this book, but it being a sequel to an award winning book I thought I’d give it a try. And I’m sorry but book is one of the worst I've read in a while. First of all I don’t understand why they’d release a sequel 10 years after the original book. It just seems like an awful long time to wait to regale readers with the next tale in Primrose’s life (I also didn’t think the original was that great.) Secondly every time I encountered a plot point in the story I thought it was trying to be too much like Romona and Bezus from Beverly Clearly. From the way Primrose and Ked interacted with each other to Primose trying to set Kate and her Uncle up.

In addition, I just couldn’t find any of the characters likeable. Primrose carried on monologues in her head that went on for pages and veered off on weird tangents that I couldn’t ever trace back to the original point and just bored the snot out of me. Ked, the Uncle, and even Kate in this book often felt one dimensional and there was nothing in the story to make me feel like I wanted to know them.

I just can’t recommend this book at all. 2 out of 5 stars and I think I’m being nice with that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Year in Coal Harbor.

message 1: by ah (new) - rated it 3 stars