Victoria Waddle's Reviews > My Bariatric Year

My Bariatric Year by Tim Hatch

20018042

Great both for practical information and empathy

I’m not a candidate for bariatric surgery, but I became interested in reading this ebook after reading a few of Tim Hatch’s blog posts. Since it didn’t cost more than a cup of tea (yeah, coffee, but I don’t drink that), it was an easy choice. I highly recommend this for anyone thinking about a bariatric procedure as it is full of facts about pre- and post-procedure as well as perspective on major life choices. But I’m also glad that I read it. I connected to Hatch’s thoughts on body image on so many levels. And I believe that lots of women who read this book will—sadly, we often see ourselves as freaks. (Hatch is 6’ 10” tall and so sees himself far outside the norm for body size.) Here are some of the things that I, someone who has persistently fought weight battles and beauty issues, connected with:

“Maybe more than any other thing, I’d like to stop hating my body (and I do hate it…a lot).” Sound familiar? More than just the procedure, there are other things Hatch does to get a better perspective on himself.

“Doing the math, that’s 72 pounds, 15% of my body weight, that I dropped through hard f**king work, and I was completely incapable of seeing that I’d done that.” Prior to the surgery, Hatch lost 72 pounds through healthy habits, but hadn’t given himself any credit for the achievement. This was so relatable—discounting an achievement because it hadn’t hit the absolute peak goal.

“I don’t have a carrot. I’ve given this ten months of thought and all I have are sticks. A sh*t ton of sticks.” Yeah—I’ve never had carrots, either.

“I am so tired of feeling like a freak. And it’s not just the weight, I’m also 6′10″.

“Giving up really needs to become something I used to do.”

“[The doctor] took one look at me, decided my problem was a weight thing, and refused me any further examination or treatment.” Oh man, did I relate to this! I had some pretty bad health care when I was pregnant, particularly with my first child. I gained fifty pounds—I had edema—and had a different doctor every time I had an appointment because that was the money-saving tactic of the healthcare provider then. Each month, a doctor would come in, look at me quickly (I think they had a two-minute maximum per appointment), make a pronouncement about how fat I was getting and run—quite literally—out the door before I could protest that I wasn’t doing anything wrong. Finally, I had an appointment with a nurse practitioner, who poked a finger into my swollen ankle and said, “Stop walking miles every day in this September heat. Put yor legs up instead. This is water.” It’s a blessing to have a medical person actually listen—and it’s also a way to receive the proper care. Hatch discusses his experience with those who do listen and those who don’t.

“You’ll learn that for a lot of fat people, their size is attached to a Category 5 hurricane of emotional nightmares, and you’ll learn that trying to get through to them about their weight by body shaming them actually makes the problem worse.”

Ultimately, I think “My Bariatric Year” is an exercise in empathy, evidence that the voice in our heads that tells us to treat others as we want to be treated is right once again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Bariatric Year.

Started Reading