Nereyda (Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Booklist)'s Reviews > Lonely Souls

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: arc, blog-tour
Read from July 09 to 11, 2012

***ARC provided by Karice Bolton for Blog Tour***
Out of all of the paranormal YA genres, I haven’t read that many books about witches. Although I am fascinated by the concept of witchcraft and spells, I haven’t found many books in this genre that have caught my attention. (The few that I have read, I really like) The beautiful and dark looking cover is what caught my attention; luckily this wasn't one of those books with just a pretty cover.

Triss can't wait for her 18th birthday when she will finally be let in to the Witch Avenue coven. But a couple of weeks before her birthday, her mother suddenly disappears. Although there is no proof of what might happened to her, everyone wants Triss to believe that she is dead. They even have a memorial service for her. But, all along Triss continues to hold on to hope that her mother is still alive. She is left with her aunt to take care of her, along with her mother’s best friend and his son Logan. Triss and Logan are convinced that the coven is hiding something about her mother’s disappearance and they are determined to find out on their own what it is.

What I loved about this book is that Triss and Logan already knew each other; it wasn't some inst-connection where “I just met you and BAM-I love you!” There were best friends when they were kids until middle school when Logan and his mom moved away. Although Logan kept trying to keep his friendship with Triss, she kind of blew him off. But now that he’s back and all grown up, Triss can't stop thinking about him. Of course it doesn’t help that Logan is just about the sweetest guy EVER! Seriously, there are so many swoon-worthy moments in this book. Although Logan is sweet, protective and fiercely loyal, he also has a dark side. He has used dark magic in the past and although he no longer practices it, he is willing to do ANYTHING to protect the people he loves.

But, no matter how perfect Logan may be, Triss fights their attraction. Sometimes to the point where she frustrated me. I understood why she had reservations about starting a relationship with him, especially when most of her focus was on finding her mom, but at the same time it seemed like it took more energy to fight their attraction than to just give in. Another thing I loved was that this book was set after high school graduation. It seems like YA books set after high school are on the rise (I hope). I gotta say that I totally love this. Sometimes it seems like too much to have to deal with the paranormal stuff in YA books and then to have to deal with all of the high school problems. Oh and I loved learning all about their society through their spells and incantations.

Unfortunately, this was my first book by Karice Bolton. Luckily, it will not be my last! Not only will I keep reading this series, but I also really want to read her other series too. Full of romance, magic spells, danger and some surprising twist, Lonely Souls is a really great and quick read!

4 out of 5 sparkly stars!

Some of my favorite quotes from Lonely Souls:
(Hmm, I just noticed most of these quotes are from Logan. He’s dreamy!)
-“I know we haven’t seen each other for years, but I'd never do that to you. I don’t care where I'm at in the world or what I'm doing, I’ll always be here for you, Triss.”

-“This is exactly what I was talking about last night. Quit building up those walls, because they're a lot harder to deconstruct that construct.”

-I sighed still not allowing my gaze to meet his. There was something about his eyes that made me want to drop everything and find out what was lurking behind them. The way they could flash from light to dark in an instant made me so curious.

-He spun around, and it was hard for me to ignore how absolutely built he looked from that angle. This roommate thing was going to be tough, but it had to be done.

-“Everything that I loved about you back then is present sitting here in front of me, except now you’ve grown into a woman who is unbelievably strong, brave and beautiful.

-“It's because of you, Triss. You’ve never been far from my thoughts. Everything I've ever done or thought about has included you in some form. You just didn’t know it.”

-“I did nothing more than save the one I love. There is nothing dark about that, Triss. There never will be.”
***
Read more of my reviews and author interviews at:
www.MostlyYABookObsessed.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lonely Souls.

07/09/2012 page 80
07/09/2012 page 150
52.0% "Wow, Logan is one of the sweetest guy ever!"
show 1 hidden update…