Andrea Stoeckel's Reviews > Real Men Knit

Real Men Knit by Kwana Jackson

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, paperbook, goodreads-win-2020, multi-ethnic-read

[book will drop May 9,2020]

"Though she didn't want to admit it, she was putting a portion of her life on hold for their needs"

Kerry Fuller and the four boys adopted by Joy Strong were left with a conundrum when Mamma Joy died of a heart attack. What would the boys do withe their legacy: Strong Knits, a touchstone for generations in Harlem. Since Mamma Joy's funeral, the 5 of them were looking toward the future...well, the 4 men were. Kerry, who'd been connected to the store since the 4 boys were adopted by Joy when they were young, now saw clearly exactly what Joy had done to keep the brownstone over their heads and the store running. Would they be able or, or even want to keep it?

Kerry, who'd helped Mamma Joy keep the store running as her clerk, even as she'd gone on to get her degree, offers to show them the ropes, and much to her surprise, Jesse steps up and says he'll try to keep the shop running. Kerry, who's been attracted to him since they were young, has really mixed feelings about all this... can she keep her feelings in check?

I had such high hopes for this book, but it read a bit like my own attempts at knitting with dropped story lines. It was disappointing that we were almost to p 235 before the actual store: Strong Knits was the focus. Jesse, Noah, Lucas and Damian- the "real men" have tangled and entangled lives yet the act like the messed up kids they must have been growing up. And, IMHO, "Kerry Girl"needs to be seen as a grown woman, NOT a substitute for Mamma Joy personally or professionally.

I might want to visit the store, but I wouldn't be a regular customer. I'd really be interested in what might have been edited out of the story.... I liked it 3/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Men Knit.

December 26, 2019 – Shelved