Beth Cato's Reviews > Red-Headed Stepchild

Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: in, 2011, urban, fantasy, sabina-kane, series

I don't like vampires. That disgust goes back way before Twilight. I read a lot of good reviews of this book when it came out, but I never sought it out because of the vampire issue.[return][return]Reads like this are a good reason to set aside my biases every once and a while. Red Headed Stepchild is a solid book with just the right balance of action, moral quandaries, and humor. The heroine, Sabina, does actions right from the start that could make her a thoroughly repulsive character. As a credit to Well's writing, that never happens. Sabina is a half-mage, half-vampire assassin who comes across as complicated and quite human. She's the granddaughter of the leader of the Domina, but as a half-breed has never been accepted. However, as she comes across a sordid plot against the Domina, she questions her loyalties. The supporting cast, including a mage and a hilarious demon cat, create much strife and fun.[return][return]I definitely will seek out the rest of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red-Headed Stepchild.

Started Reading