Beth Cato's Reviews > Rules of Engagement

Rules of Engagement by Elizabeth Moon

Apr 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: in, 2010, science, fiction, serrano, series

Continuing with the Serrano Legacy series. This is the second book following Esmay Suiza.[return][return]After surviving and and refuting a hostile takeover of a spaceship, Esmay is excited to return to school on a command track. It looks like the worst is behind her, and she can become a better officer as a result. She doesn't count on the arrival of the Speaker's daughter, the vibrant and spoiled Brun. Brun latches onto Esmay--just what the overbooked student wants the least--and then starts making moves on Esmay's man. The situation spirals out of control, and after Brun leaves she ends up captive in an impossible situation... one that leaves Esmay disgraced, but ready to come to the rescue yet again.[return][return]I didn't like this book as much as the previous one. The drama wasn't of the space opera variety (not until the end), but more psychological. It was very difficult to read about Brun's situation as captive of a sort of super-future Texan polygamist cult. Esmay's travails were also of a more personal nature, and rather frustrating at times. Most importantly, the major inciting incident of the book didn't feel that horrible to me, because I felt Esmay's sentiments on Brun were quite true.[return][return]In all, an uneven read, but I'm continuing with the next two books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Engagement.

Started Reading