Beth Cato's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, in, 2008

This book took a long time - almost two weeks - to read, and not simply because it was 722 pages. The book had to get packed up, briefly, along with everything else as part of a cross-town move. But now most stuff is unpacked, and the book is concluded.[return][return]I keep seeing The Name of the Wind mentioned everywhere online. Apparently it's one of the biggest sensations in the fantasy genre in the past year. The reviewer blurbs at the beginning constantly cite George R. R. Martin, which is a fitting comparison looking at the width of the binding alone. Unlike A Song of Ice and Fire, this first novel of the Kingkiller Chronicles is mostly in a first-person viewpoint. Kvothe is a peculiar character. He is real, deep, and flawed as any human should be. We begin knowing that Kvothe is somehow begin a mythical hero within his own lifetime, but now he's trying to live a simple life as an innkeeper. The truth has a way of emerging, and Kvothe begins to tell his life's tale to a chronicler, and the reader is along for the ride. And what a ride it is![return][return]At times, Kvothe infuriated me when he did stupid things; it was like watching The Flintstones and wanting to yell at Fred to stop being a blockhead. There are some slower points in the book where I wondered if I should keep going, then boom - the action picks up and the better plot elements like the Chandrian zoomed back into the story. It's a good book, but I wasn't as ecstatic over it as others seem to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

10/17/2016 marked as: read