Kristy's Reviews > A Straight Line to My Heart

A Straight Line to My Heart by Bill Condon

Apr 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: realistic

This has so many great reviews, 4 and 5 stars all around it seems, so I almost feel bad rating it a 3.5.
Yes, it was cute. I adore the cover. I adore Reggie. But, something fell a little flat for me.

1. Maybe it was the whole Davey thing? He just swoops in and seems like he is going to be involved in the story, but he only makes brief appearances. I don't have to have a huge Love story, but I needed just a bit more.

2. The whole news-paper/shark thing. I didn't mind her getting the job or talking about it, but there for a while Tiff seemed to go on and on and on about it. I mean a good chunk of the story was about her 1st day of work.... and repeating the same story over again. Ugh. No.

3. Tiff. For me, she was a little hard to connect with. At times, she was a baby. At times, she was very whoa is me, let's have a pitty party..... Her work ethic at the paper bothered me, she was willing to give up after a day??? Seriously??

4. Kayla and Tiff's relationship. Most of the time it seemed like Tiff couldn't really be herself around her "best friend". Numerous times, Tiff thought things to say, but didn't want to say them out loud to her friend, it was like she wasn't comfortable???

While I am giving you all that negative, there was definitely some very great moments in this book. Most of them, in my opinion involved Reggie. I absolutely love him.

Also, there are TONS of amazing quotes in this book.

"It's the most sniffly, weepy, nose-blowing version I've ever heard. Reggie's going to be doing a lot of haunting."

"So to use his own words, "if you feel like saying somthin'-put a sock in it.""

"I'm not into class, I'm into people."

"Nod if you're even slightly interested in getting to know me. Write me a ten page explanation, if you're not."

"If you can't get a boy, get a book, that's my motto."

Like I said, 3.5 stars from me, but there are a lot of very high reviews out there... so maybe it's just me????!?!?!?!?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Straight Line to My Heart.

April 10, 2012 – Started Reading
April 10, 2012 – Shelved
April 11, 2012 – Shelved as: realistic
April 11, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by ~Tina~ (last edited Apr 11, 2012 12:36PM) (new)

~Tina~ 3.5 isn't a bad rating hun. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I love those quotes:)

Kristy no, but when everyone seems to be praising and gushing over a book, it makes you wonder if you missed something? Know what I mean???

message 3: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Yup, sure do, but that's why I like your reviews. Your honest. You know what you like and what you don't.
I'm even more curious about this one now!:)

Crystal Great review =) I understand girl, not everybody can like the same books and you get major credit for saying your opinion =)

Kristy thanks girls!!! Just like Horton says, "I meant what I said and I said what I meant...." ;)

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill Thanks, Kristy. That review was very helpful to me as you pointed out some things I hadn't thought about - and I agree with you.

Bill.

Kristy Look at that, a nice author. Bonus points for that, not that you need them :) your book seems to be getting lots of praise! Reggie was such a great character, I loved all his music moments!

Arlene 3.5 isn't bad. Sounds like you enjoyed it somewhat. Perfectly stated review Kristy. :)

Jasmine i totes agree! i gave it 2 stars. it's not worth 5 stars!

Kristy Thanks! It was a little flat for me.