C.L.'s Reviews > The Hole in the World

The Hole in the World by Brandann R. Hill-Mann

3192783

I adore low fantasy and magical realism stories. I love the way these elements blend into the accessible world of what I know. With that in mind, I took the opportunity to read indie author Brandann R. Hill-Mann’s novella THE HOLE IN THE WORLD which is low fantasy.

BLURB: Best friends (with benefits) Innes and Kahrin couldn’t be more opposite. Innes is a nerd who’s headed to college soon who despite these rational things about him believes in magic and the stories that go with them. Kahrin, on the other hand, keeps her two feet grounded (and running) and doesn’t care two wits about books. She does adore Innes and everything about him, however. When they are in a car accident narrowly missing a mysterious woman, Innes insists magic is involved, and Kahrin is confronted with trusting her best friend or turning her back on his faith. “It’s a feeling,” he says. Kahrin is skeptical, but her faith and love in him means she will follow. As their story aligns with the mystery woman, Yelena, and her strange brother, Evan, strange events unravel revealing new knowledge that could change the course of the world as Innes and Kahrin understand it. With the hope to do the right thing, the friends may lose everything they love.

This was a quick, enjoyable and unique read. The title - A HOLE IN THE WORLD - hints at a portal fantasy which it isn’t (that’s a twist people and I won’t spoil it). At 143 pages, the story moved, never lingering too long in one place. The plot was clear and directional, the characters clear and consistent. I liked the quick banter between Innes and Kahrin which made me smile quite a few times. There were moments when I would have appreciated a bit more development, and I still had some questions that I want answers to, but overall, I enjoyed this fun, engaging and creative story. Hill-Mann is definitely an indie author to keep an eye on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hole in the World.

December 24, 2019 – Started Reading