Erica Gilbert's Reviews > Wicked Games

Wicked Games by S. Massery

89320630

Oh my goodness gracious! Wicked Games is just as amazingly insane and epically good as Wicked Dreams was. I seriously could not put this book down. I basically devoured this book in one day, but you know, adulting got in the way. Wicked Games picks up right where Wicked Dreams left off (everyone remember that damn cliffhanger?!) and we start to get the answers we have been so desperately waiting for. This book does not disappoint at all. Not even a little. Prepare yourself to be drawn back into the madness of Emery-Rose Elite along with your favorite bad boys. Advanced warning though, be prepared for this book to end on another epically awesome cliffhanger that will leave you reeling and wanting more.

Let’s start with the boy we all love to hate. When Wicked Dreams ended, I hated Caleb so much. I could not believe he would do what he did to Margo ( I won’t spoil it for anyone who hasn’t read Wicked Dreams yet. Go read it people!). I was so incredibly angry with him and wanted to throat punch him. In the beginning of Wicked Games, I still hated him and wanted to throat punch him most of the time. However, as the story progressed, I found myself hating him less and less until finally, I fell in love with his character. S. Massery did such an amazing job with his character development. I mean, he’s still an asshole 99% of the time but that other 1% is truly something. He stops fighting against his attraction and feelings for Margo. He finally allows himself to feel what he feels for her and honestly, that made me like him. He admits that he doesn’t want to destroy her life because it would cause her pain and her pain is his pain. He’s still pretty wicked and twisted, but he actually starts to behave more like a human being in this book and I loved every second of it. I can’t wait to see what his character is like in the third book.

Margo’s character in this book is amazing. Again, S. Massery did a fantastic job on character development in this story. Margo was a little weaker and more easily manipulated in the first book. She was often called “sheep” by Caleb and his friends, but let me tell you, she is no longer a “sheep” in Wicked Games. This girl developed a backbone and it was amazing to read. I am so proud of her for standing up for herself to other people, including Caleb, and no longer taking their shit. Caleb does still have some pull on her, but not nearly as much as he did in Wicked Dreams. She is more than capable of standing up for herself and telling people to shove it. She’s made such progress since the first book. There are times when she’s still really sad, feels like she doesn’t deserve actual happiness, and confused about her feelings for Caleb. Even with all of those feelings going on, she’s still a badass. Margo is my favorite character in this trilogy.

Margo and Caleb together was seriously something crazy to watch unfold. I loved every damn second of it though. I could not put the book down because I had to see what crazy thing Margo and Caleb were going to do or say next. In Wicked Games, we also get to see a side to Caleb that we’ve never seen before, that Margo has never seen before. He started to treat her like an actual human being in this book. She is not an object or a person meant to be destroyed. Caleb is totally in love with Margo even if he doesn’t want to admit it (I mean why else would you no longer want to ruin her life?!). These two are fascinating together. They both need one another in ways they don’t even understand. These two have so much chemistry with one another. The physical relationship between them is HOT! Ahem, football game. I will not say anymore than that. It was intense to read at times. Their physical chemistry is insane, but I can’t wait to see them connect on a more emotional level as well. Things are going to be interesting in the third book.

Overall, I rate this book a 5/5! Wicked Games is a little dark, a little twisted, a little wicked, with a whole lot of suspense, intrigue, and mystery. This book had a little bit of everything. You have intense romance, the mystery of the Wolfe and Asher families, Margo’s blocked memories, and the normal drama of high school. There is so much to like about this book and you will not want to put it down. And the ending my friends! The ending is intense and will leave you on the edge of your seat wanting to know what happens next. I cannot wait to see where S. Massery will take us in the conclusion to this wicked tale.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Games.

December 26, 2019 – Shelved
December 26, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 18, 2020 – Started Reading
March 20, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Olson Where did you read this book? I thought it had not been released yet.

Erica Gilbert Hi Alyssa! I’m a beta reader for the author so I get to read the book before it’s been released and give her my feedback. The book releases April 16th!

message 3: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Olson Oh that is really cool! How do you get into do that?

Erica Gilbert I was on her ARC team and we started to talk more about her books and became friends. She asked me to be a beta reader. I got really lucky! I’ve had a blast doing it.

message 5: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Olson That is awesome! You are very lucky!