T.W. Brown's Reviews > Blood Related

Blood Related by William   Cook

Blood Related by William Cook has a lot of really good things going for it. The pace is steady throughout and you really do feel like you have stepped through the "John Malkovich" portal into the mind of a very bad person. I like that the writer took chances throughout his story and made his central figure a bonafide sociopath. Too often there is an attempt to try and make the reader feel pity for a character telling the story of how they became a depraved killer. At no point do you feel that for Charlie or his twin. (Yes, you get two for the price of one in this story.)

The Cunninghams are peeled back a layer at a time here and there is little to nothing redeeming about any member of the family. The story is delivered almost in a True Crime mode complete with newspaper articles which add to the realness the reader gets while reading this tale.

There were a few points that I need to address. The over use of the comma is something I have suffered from myself as a writer and Mr. Cook needs to dial back about half. There were times that I found them distracting due to their overuse. For the most part the story was clean, only a few typos. Above average is how I would rate the cleanliness of this book. As for the ending, I think I understand what he was trying to do, but it felt like he could have either done away with the last few entries, or perhaps sprinkled them through the main story as a foreshadow. All tacked on to the ending made it almost anti-climactic.

Overall, I would say that Blood Related by William Cook might not be everybody's cup of tea, but it will satisfy those who like to visit the dark recesses of the human mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Related.

April 10, 2012 – Started Reading