Ashley Houser's Reviews > The Truth Behind the Lie

The Truth Behind the Lie by Sara Lövestam

Definitely not what I expected (in a good way)!

I wasn't overwhelmingly drawn to the cover of this book (which sadly can sometimes be a deterrent for me). But once I started reading, I was pleasantly surprised with what I found.

Man is trying to make money while he's living off the grid. Advertises himself as a private investigator. Woman with missing child who doesn't want to involve the police. Perfect combination. As they investigate the whereabouts of the missing child, we found out that things are not really as they seem.

I very much enjoyed the main twist at the end of the book and thought it was cleverly executed. I will say there were some pieces of the story that I felt lacked relevance. I'm going to be honest, I didn't really understand the very last line of the book and how it tied in to the rest of the story. As this is the first in a series, I'm thinking it may be further explained in future books, but it felt somewhat randomly placed in the context of this book.

As the book is set in Sweden, there were a few cultural elements that didn't really translate for me. And I had a hard time envisioning the geography given my lack of Swedish knowledge. But it didn't take away from the book for me.

Overall, this was a quick read and was enjoyable. I would recommend it to thriller/mystery readers.

-I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Sara Lovestam, and Minotaur Books for the opportunity to review.-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth Behind the Lie.

December 25, 2019 – Started Reading