Avalon's Reviews > The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson

bookshelves: reviews, christmas

In my family, we have a Christmas tradition of reading this book every year and I never actually realized how short it was. After the first couple rereads it became kind of a chore and seemed to go on for hours, (now I don't mind putting in the time for it) but this year we read the entire thing in two sittings. It's kind of funny how things seem to take so much longer when your a kid. I do like this book. It's funny but a little too young for me, content wise. I still can appreciate the story though.
**Spoiler Warning**
This time, when we reread it my mom was the one who was actually rereading the book out-loud and she outright laughed at a couple of bits I never really found that funny, but on closer observation were pretty nice quips. My favorite was how Imogene was always threatening to stick pussy willows down people ears, even though that is totally insane and without an energy source there is no way the pussy willows would ever be able to grow.
Something I found from this reread was that the main character is actually a girl? For some reason I never was able to figure that, even after so many rereads and only once they mentioned the main character in relation to playing Mary (in the pageant), I was able to put two and two together. I actually liked the book better when the main character was a boy though, I just think it helped the plot along and for some reason the writing just seemed boyish.
Overall, I did like this book. It's a nice tradition, but I don't ever plan on finishing the series. I don't have much to say, because it's pretty short novel and nothing I could really comment on, happened. I recommend this book to anyone below the age of 10 who wants a new Christmas classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

December 24, 2019 – Started Reading