Leigh's Reviews > Ember

Ember by Madison Daniel

Apr 10, 2012

it was ok
Read from April 11 to 18, 2012 — I own a copy

I really liked the premise of this book, and moreso the fact that it was written in a male POV. But that is about it, unfortunately. There was way too much repetition in this book. If I read about anymore lightening or thunder, I thought I might lose it. I understood why it was there, but wow! It was just overdone. It would make for a great drinking game, however ~ take a shot every time thunder is written. You'd be drunk by page 10.

I also didn't care for the fact that Max was so undecided about the two chicks in his love triangle. One second, he is absolutely in love with Asia, and then the next, he is all about Sam. I can understand feeling torn between two prospective girlfriends, but his waffling was like an watching an awful tennis match while on speed. Talk about some serious whiplash!

Overall, though, I think my biggest complaint has to do with the mechanics of the writing. The book is told from Max's 1st person POV. I don't mind 1st person whatsoever. However, what didn't make sense to me was how at times, Max would leave the scene, and yet continue to "tell the story" of what was going on while he was gone. That just isn't possible. This happened on more than one occasion. Further, there was a severe lack of continuity with the story. So many times, I had to go back and reread sections at a time. For example, one second, the characters are in the kitchen, and then next, Max is getting in his truck. What? How did that happen? And this would happen without there being any break in the conversation that was taking place. It really threw me out of the story.

All that said, it kills me that this book ended on a cliffhanger because now I want to know what happens. Maybe I can find someone to spoil me with the deets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ember.

11/13/2016 marked as: read