Amy's Reviews > Thumped

Thumped by Megan McCafferty

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, dystopia

While I was disappointed in "Bumped," the prequel to this novel, and McCafferty's foray beyond Jessica Darling, I am very happy about the end of "Thumped." Sure, it probably comes off preachy to a lot of readers, but the entire time I was reading these two novels, I was wondering how McCafferty was going to get around writing a novel that encourages teenage sex and pregnancy. Yes, it's very dystopian, and yes, the pregnant protagonists have lots of issues, but "Bumped" and the first 2/3 of "Thumped" are very much focused on the sex and pregnancy aspect of the story. I really loved how the last third of the novel came together, and even Harmony's speech about prayer on the final page didn't grate my nerves the way Harmony's voice usually did. These characters finally became real and multi-dimensional in the last third of the book, and the entire novel came to a very satfisfying close. It lost a star for some questionable plot moves (view spoiler) , and the failure to fully develope the characters and their relationships until the last third of the novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thumped.