Malia's Reviews > Places and Names: On War, Revolution, and Returning

Places and Names by Elliot Ackerman

bookshelves: non-fiction

"But winning battles was never the US military’s problem. The problem was always what came after, the rebuilding."

This was an interesting book and it certainly offered a look at places and situations to which I would ordinarily have little to no access. I appreciate the author's experience and insight as a soldier and journalist, yet I also felt the book was somewhat disjointed. Maybe, as it is essentially a collection, it is normal that some stories spoke to me more than others. I liked that he went to places that were dealing with the aftermath of conflict as well as those still rife with it. A worthwhile read if you are interested in the Middle East and especially how the US presence has affected that region.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Places and Names.

December 24, 2019 – Shelved
December 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
February 11, 2020 – Started Reading
February 13, 2020 – Shelved as: non-fiction
February 13, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Rob (last edited Feb 13, 2020 01:16PM) (new) - added it

Rob Squires Thank you for the brief but insightful (which are the best kind!) review, Malia. I recently finished "Fool's Errand: Time to End the War in Afghanistan," by Scott Horton, which is the best book that I've read on the Global War on Terror (GWoT). It covers much more than the on-going war in Afghanistan, including all of the misguided policies and actions by the US government and military....and it does so in a very fair-minded and informed way. As someone with considerable first-hand experience with the US military, Islam and the Middle East, I appreciated it very much. Now, thanks to you, I'm looking forward to reading "Places and Names: On War, Revolution, and Returning."

Malia Rob wrote: "Thank you for the brief but insightful (which are the best kind!) review, Malia. I recently finished "Fool's Errand: Time to End the War in Afghanistan," by Scott Horton, which is the best book tha..."

Thank you for your kind words and recommendation, Rob! "Fool's Errand: Time to End the War in Afghanistan" sounds very interesting and I will definitely be adding it to my tbr!