Malia's Reviews > In Pain: A Bioethicist's Personal Struggle with Opioids

In Pain by Travis Rieder

bookshelves: non-fiction, best-of-2020

This is a fascinating book and one I would recommend to anyone trying to better understand the opioid crisis and addiction in general. The author writes honestly and in a way that felt compassionate and informative at once. He is frustrated, but does not easily cast blame, though he must have gone through hell. It made me better understand that addiction, in particular addiction to prescription pain killers, could happen to anyone, and that addiction to any substance has the underlying cause of the user needing to fill a void, to salve a pain, to distract from hurt. It is a very humanizing, thoughtful, and enlightening book and one that will remain with me for some time to come.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Pain.

December 24, 2019 – Shelved
December 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 4, 2020 – Started Reading
January 5, 2020 – Shelved as: non-fiction
January 5, 2020 – Shelved as: best-of-2020
January 5, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Lorilin (new) - added it

Lorilin This sounds interesting. I'm ashamed to say that I used to blow off the opioid crisis, like oh it's just a matter of will power. But I'm seeing now that it is a very complicated issue that really can affect anyone. It's scary...

Malia Lorilin wrote: "This sounds interesting. I'm ashamed to say that I used to blow off the opioid crisis, like oh it's just a matter of will power. But I'm seeing now that it is a very complicated issue that really c..."

It is scary, because the author is the kind of person you think really has it together, family, good job, etc. and this still happened to him, so you think anyone is vulnerable. I would also recommend "Dopesick" if you're interested in earning more.

message 3: by Lorilin (new) - added it

Lorilin I’ll check that one out!

message 4: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie It is very scary. It could have happened in my own family. My daughter was prescribed opioids 4 or 5 times in the early 2000's when she was just a teenager for a chronic painful kidney condition. We were very lucky that she never became addicted to them. It terrifies me when I think what could have happened.

Malia Ann-Marie wrote: "It is very scary. It could have happened in my own family. My daughter was prescribed opioids 4 or 5 times in the early 2000's when she was just a teenager for a chronic painful kidney condition. W..."

Yes it really seems like it could happen to anyone, if you are caught in the wrong situation, so scary! And pain killers are necessary for many people, of course, it's just the over-prescribing of them and the fact that it seems doctors are often ill prepared or unable to wean patients off them that seems to cause significant problems.