Sarah u's Reviews > The Uncrowned Queen

The Uncrowned Queen by Anne O'Brien

Apr 10, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: kindle, historical-fiction, medieval-history

The Uncrowned Queen is a short story written by Anne O’Brien. It covers a period early in the reign of Edward III- he is a teenage King, his father has been overthrown by Roger Mortimer, and both he and his Queen Philippa of Hainault are living under his and the Dowager Queen Isabella’s rule.

The story is told from Philippa’s point of view. We open at her coronation ceremony, as she is heavily pregnant with her first child. Edward gathers his friends as plots against Mortimer are being made; his uncle the Earl of Kent has one, Edward himself has another… Will Edward be able to take control of his kingdom back from Mortimer?

The story is exciting, emotional and well told. The historical detail is excellent- modern research into the 14th century has been taken into account, which was great to read. The language and dialogue is easy to follow and the story flows perfectly. I read it in an hour!

An excellent prequel to the forthcoming “King’s Concubine”. I am really looking forward to reading more about Anne’s Edward, Philippa and the infamous Alice Perrers in May.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uncrowned Queen.

Started Reading
April 10, 2012 – Shelved
April 10, 2012 – Finished Reading
December 28, 2013 – Shelved as: kindle
February 25, 2014 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
May 16, 2014 – Shelved as: medieval-history

Victoria I got this too Sarah. Who knows when I'll get round to reading it though.

Donna Maguire You finished that fast! I only downloaded it yesterday for the Kindle, same for me - just need to get round to reading it now!

Sarah u It only took me an hour to read it, it's quite a short story. Very good though!