Ashton Macaulay's Reviews > Thrawn: Treason

Thrawn by Timothy Zahn

liked it

The Thrawn series might have stumbled with its second book, but #3 fixes most of those mistakes and makes for an exciting entry. Eli Vanto is back and Anakin/Vader is relegated to mere mentions, which is a blessing, because I'm not sure I could read more of that storyline. While direct interaction between Vanto and Thrawn is minimal, it's great to see the team back together again. The interactions between characters feel believable and enjoyable, driving what might have otherwise been a dull story.

Much like the prequel films, Thrawn 3 revolves around politics, but unlike the former, it's actually interesting. Examining The Empire from the perspective of those that are not necessarily faithful to The Emperor's zealous vision for the galaxy is refreshing. It creates a wide diversity among the characters and makes each chapter exciting, even when much of the conflict is simply political machinations.

I'll be honest, these books are not literary masterpieces, but they are fun and provide some interesting new Star Wars stories that make me want to keep reading. If you're a Star Wars fan and/or love the Heir to the Empire trilogy, this one is worth a read. I also highly recommend the audiobook which has excellent voice acting, SFX and soundtrack.

3/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thrawn.

December 24, 2019 – Started Reading