Sara Jane Kehler's Reviews > The Canary List

The Canary List by Sigmund Brouwer

Do you think for yourself, or blindly believe everything authorities tell you to believe?

Not all is as you think it is, there's more going on behind the scenes than you can imagine, and it's crucial to discern who can truly be trusted. These are the prevailing themes in Sigmund Brouwer's novel, at least from my perception, which is a huge reason why I loved this book. I was raised to think for myself, so a book like The Canary List is right up my alley.

This novel was quick-paced and held my attention from start to finish. I liked that the action scenes weren't overdone, there was no sappy love story awkwardly plunked into the plot, and the conspiracy theory was easy to follow.

Was it a perfectly written novel? No, but who am I to judge? I would have given The Canary List five stars except for the fact that the last quarter of the book felt a little too "explain-y" to me; there was a lot of conspiracy theory explanation poorly disguised as dialogue. Even so, I enjoyed the entire book. Especially the end - the very last page remained true to the prevailing themes of the book and left the reader wondering: "What's really going on, and who will I choose to believe?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Canary List.

Started Reading