Kelly H. (Maybedog)'s Reviews > The Devil You Know

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey

Apr 10, 2012

bookshelves: what-modern-fantasy, what-male-protagonist, what-not-mm

I have so many conflicting feelings about this complex book I don't know where to begin. The overall feeling of the book is sadness and loneliness which works really well but still left me feeling sad myself at the end. the next book is much less depressing which is good. The protagonist is believable and multi-layered and I really liked him. The bad guys are really bad but still not flat. The good guys are regular people. All of the characters feel real to me. The plot is good and had me guessing. there wasn't as much action as I usually like but there was some and it was good. The best part were the moral questions he has to grapple with Ina not very cut and dried way.

The greatest thing, though, is that I learned several new words while reading this book and many more than I only know in context and couldn't necessarily define. A couple weren't even in my two dictionary apps on my phone. It has been years since I have read a fiction book with one word I didn't know. (The exception is really specific jargon for a subject gone into great depth like the word for the tool you use to grab the genitals of an obscure amphibian to determine its gender. This is how I sometimes learn new word in nonfiction like medical terminology etc.) But finding a word used as if it were an everyday word makes me feel like I'm studying for the SATs or something. Only a couple of times were they Beitish slang. Generally the words worked and it didn't feel awkward.

Many of the references were foreign to me but usually that was because they were related to British culture and events. He overused metaphors and similes in the beginning. It that went away as the ball got rolling.

In short this is an excellent book on many levels and I highly recommend it. I'm just docking one star for how depressed it made me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil You Know.

April 10, 2012 – Shelved
April 19, 2012 – Started Reading
April 19, 2012 –
page 144
April 21, 2012 – Finished Reading

Clouds This you dock a star for being depressing - but Doomsday Book gets the full five? Udder madness. Willis made me far weepier.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) True, true, good point. But I loved Doomsday Book so much that it's my second or third favorite book of all time. (2 & 3 keep switching.) So it has to get five stars. I'd love to give it 100.

I didn't really dock it a star. It was a solid four stars for me. But it's funnier if I give a silly reason. :)