Richard Jr.'s Reviews > Buzz: The Nature and Necessity of Bees

Buzz by Thor Hanson

17209090

bookshelves: biological-science, history, non-fiction-true-life, young-adult

I enjoyed how author Hanson mixed hard factual science and knowledge of the Bee world together in a well-organized book for laypersons and members of the science community with broad backgrounds for understanding the reasons why certain grown adults charge around deserts, forests, savanna and jungles flailing the air with nets and patiently pinning nearly microscopic bugs on balsawood boards for study and posterity. As a former bug-kid who did a lot of net swinging while my compatriots were shooting balls at nets, I can empathize with the author as he describes run-ins with Border Patrol Agents wondering why a bunch of folks would be thrashing about the cholla cactus regions along the Mexican border looking for bees. Hanson has interviewed with and studied under, a number of the cutting edge entomologists who have traced the history of human-bee relationships back to earliest times, calculated the calorific contribution of honey to hunter-gatherer tribes, chased the ghosts of 'colony-collapse' in our own time, and those who have begun changing their farming methods from bee-adverse methodologies to bee-enhancing practices. I enjoyed every chapter. There is something for everyone in this book which opens our eyes to our bee/human interdependency and gives us reasons to go out and look closely at our own flower beds and try to make them as bee-friendly as possible and help this vast group of friends prosper.

aof insects, this book will open your eyes to some of that buzzing and busy world whirling around us as we blithely consider ourselves to be the masters of the planet. Not only are the bugs our main competitors in the hunt for and storage of our food, but they are also some of our ablest assistants in the production of a vast majority of foods that we take for granted every day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buzz.

December 10, 2019 – Started Reading