Karen's Reviews > Apeirogon

Apeirogon by Colum McCann

190448

"I will tell it until the day I die, and it will never change, but it will keep on putting a tiny crack in the wall until the day I die."

Column McCann is an incredible writer. This book has a format that will appeal to some and put off others. It worked for me. The book is the story of two men, one Palestinian and one Israeli, who both have lost daughters. They come together to help spread peace.

"I tried to hide it from my fellow prisoners but something in me changed—or maybe it hadn’t, but something was coming from a new direction, maybe I had just found something that was there all along."

The book travels back and forth in time, in and out of fiction and non fiction, it stops in the middle of a scene and then picks it up pages later. It repeats bits and pieces. It has not just a purpose and a story but also a rhythm.

"Sometimes it feels like we’re trying to draw water from the ocean with a spoon, but peace is a fact."

And it breaks every little part of your heart. It shows how awful we humans can be. It shows how awful we humans are. How we treat each other. In many parts, I was reminded of the Brene Brown quote about how we try to make people "other" and "not human" so we can hate them or hurt them and how when we get to know them as fellow humans, it becomes so much harder to write them off, to harm them.

"We need to learn how to share this land, otherwise we will be sharing it in our graves."

I had never heard of the story of Rami and Bassam. It was eye opening, heartening and of course completely heartbreaking. I do not wish this type of loss on my worst enemy and I have unbounded respect for their ability to take such profound loss and turn it into an opportunity to broker peace. To still be able to love and not let the hate take over.

"Bassam clicks his tongue and half-smiles. A familiar and hopeless gesture: they can travel together anywhere in the world, but not these few miles."

The day to day lives of people living in the West Bank are shared in detail in this story. Once you read it, it becomes impossible to un-know it. It becomes impossible to not let it get to you.

"The only interesting thing is to live."

Everything about this book worked for me. I was blown away by it. By all the facts. By all the back and forth. By the terrible tragedies. By the senseless deaths. By the tireless fight for peace. By the incredible writing of Colum McCann.

With gratitude to netgalley and Random House for an early copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apeirogon.

December 23, 2019 – Started Reading
December 23, 2019 – Shelved
December 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Elyse  Walters Great quotes you included.
Glad everything about this book worked for you.

Karen Elyse (semi hiatus) wrote: "Great quotes you included.
Glad everything about this book worked for you."

thank you Elyse, I really did love it.