Christine's Reviews > My Life in Doha: Between Dream and Reality

My Life in Doha by Rachel Hajar

Apr 09, 2012

This book is a memoir of Dr. Rachel Hajar who is a cardiologist in Qatar. She was from the Philippines and brought up as a Catholic. She later moved to the US to further her medical training and while there met her future husband. They married, and after they completed their studies they moved to her husband's home country of Qatar.

I was particularly interested in reading the chapters about the veil, the call to prayer - adhan, and the souk. I have always wondered what women thought about wearing a veil and if they disliked it. I appreciated the author's honesty and candor and think differently about it now. It was fascinating to read about the culture and customs in Qatar.

I also liked reading about about her family and their interactions together. Her love for her children and husband flowed throughout the book, and I could tell how precious they are to her.

A couple of minor things annoyed me while reading this story. There was some repetition and grammar/punctuation issues. I would have liked to read the story of how Dr. Hajar met her husband towards the beginning of the book instead of the end.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and am grateful to have the chance to read about Dr. Hajar's experiences.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life in Doha.

April 9, 2012 – Started Reading