Karen's Reviews > A Good Neighborhood

A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler

190448

"Valerie understood that while her son did and always would hold her heart in his hands, the fact of being a parent was that her son’s heart was and must be reserved for someone else."

There's so much to say about this book. So much I liked and so much I didn't like. I thought a lot about how I should rate it and what it meant to me. I read this book in one sitting, and found myself attached to most of the characters and caring deeply about where it was going even as I knew it was going to be a train wreck of a book. Even as I knew I was being manipulated as a reader. I still couldn't put it down. The writing was beautiful and compelling and I decided it deserved a high rating just for that.

There's a lot going on in this book. Some of it felt completely unnecessary. I felt the author went more stereotypical and villain that I would have liked for some of the characters. It oversimplified the story and didn't do justice to the complexity of racial issues and how they are there even when the person isn't a totally disgusting person. There were hints of that as the neighborhood reacted to everything and there were some glimpses of that but overall I think the book made things too black and white and too preachy. My biggest beef was with Brad. There was just nothing redeemable about him in the book. There were glimpses to how nice he was being to Lily but it just wasn't enough. Also I felt like the ending felt a bit rushed and didn't really feel true to character, especially with Julia.

I did fall in love with Valerie and Xavier though and this book broke my heart in all the ways it was meant to.

with gratitude to netgalley and St. Martin's Press for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Good Neighborhood.

December 23, 2019 – Started Reading