Jason's Reviews > Mrs. Kennedy and Me: An Intimate Memoir

Mrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint Hill

Apr 09, 2012

bookshelves: president-john-f-kennedy, dallas-texas-november-1963, first-ladies
Read from April 09 to 11, 2012

Being fascinated by Jacqueline Kennedy for years, originally I didn't want to read this thinking that it was just another way for a former staffer to "make a buck" off of the Kennedy name. But then a friend told me that she had seen Clint Hill on the Today Show...and suddenly all my reluctance about reading this book changed...and quickly!

For me, Clint Hill has always been a demi-god or sort of like an icon. I've always wondered what his thoughts were. He is the one that jumped on the back of the limo in Dallas after the first shot was fired, pushing Mrs. Kennedy back into the car as they sped to Parkland Hospital. While Hill has been reticent to speak about the events of November 22, 1963 he does here and the result is one of the most moving accounts of the tragedy that I have ever read (and trust me, I've read EVERYTHING). Showing Jacqueline Kennedy's "human" side in this book, we are led beneath the glamorous, fashionable world of State Dinners and moments of high protocol.

While I wouldn't recommend this book for the "casual" Kennedy fan (is there actually such a person?), this is a beautiful story of a true and lasting friendship that lived itself out on the greatest of stages and endured unbearable, unspeakable tragedy.

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Kennedy and Me.

Quotes Jason Liked

Clint Hill
“it's been a long time since i've thought about that night, that wonderful raucous night. I can still see the president s surprise and amusement while opening gifts. I can still hear the music, the guests singing along and the president having such a wonderful time surrounded by his closest family and friends. What a privilege it was to have been there, to witness the joy and laughter. But Always, when I remember that special birthday celebration on the Sequoia, I can't help but think it should not have been his last. At forty six it shouldn't have been his last”
Clint Hill, Mrs. Kennedy and Me: An Intimate Memoir
tags: memoir

Clint Hill
“We had been through so much together, mrs. Kennedy and me. More than anyone can imagine. More than anyone can ever know.”
Clint Hill, Mrs. Kennedy and Me: An Intimate Memoir