Blythe's Reviews > The Iron Daughter

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

5206717
I feel very conflicted at the moment, because I don’t know what rating to give this. The story itself was pretty good, and the ending was sweet, but it’s just Meghan… I don’t think I can not take stars away from this book because of Meghan… I did some thinking about it, and figured without Meghan, this book probably would have gotten three and a half stars from me. With Meghan, I’ve come to the conclusion that it gets two and a half stars. I don’t know if that’s too much, and I’m being too generous, or if I'm taking too much from the rating, but that was the final rating I decided. Now, let’s get this review started.

What should I start off with, the good, or the bad? I have a lot to write about the bad of this book, so maybe we should start with the good and get it over with.

What I liked in The Iron Daughter:

1: First, I’ll say that I’m team Puck. I don’t think that will change, no matter what. Despite this, I did like Ash a lot more in this book. I really didn’t like him too much in the first book, and I thought he was a total ass. I think it was really smart of Kagawa to expand on the backstory of Ash and Ariella’s love, and how she showed that Ash still kept Ariella’s belongings, and that he really, truly loved her.

2: The kiss! Not between Ash and Meghan, I’m against that relationship, but between Meghan and Puck! While I think Meghan only did it because she was lonely and Ash wasn’t there, I was still really happy for Puck. He deserves some happiness, after being there for Meghan for so long, and then one boy comes along and tries to kill Meghan and she loves him instead. How could you not feel bad for Puck in that situation?

3.: Grimalkin! I love you Grimalkin, you’re awesome, witty and funny. I better see more of you in the other books or I will not be a happy camper.

Well... It looks like that’s it for the things I liked in The Iron Daughter. (Yikes!) Now, moving onto the things I didn’t like (and the things I hated). It might get ugly. Fangirls/boys may want to turn away. Especially if you like Meghan.

What I didn’t like or hated in The Iron Daughter

1: Bella Swan Meghan Chase

Oh, wait… I may have to break that down for Meghan.

I’m. calling. you. stu-pid.

Do I have to speak slower, or did you get that, Meghan?

Oh, but you're not just stupid. You're also selfish. And whiny. And obsessive. And naïve. And so freaking pathetic.

Do I need to go on? Because I can.

My question to you, dear, dear Meghan is, why go for the boy who wants to kill you, and was insulting you throughout the whole 25% of the book. And let me tell you, Ash's "I'm treating you like crap because I have to because I don't want to look bad in front all my all mighty mother" is not a good excuse. It's a horrible excuse. And when he does this you don't just cry over the fact that he might not love you like you love him, and that he used you. You slap him silly! (And, odds are, no men are going to love you as much as you loved Ash in such a short amount of time. Take this advice, Meghan. You're only going to scare more men off). Sure, you went all “I hate Ash”, and “Ash is a heartless, arrogant bastard. I hate him.”, but none of that counts if, in the next page, you’re declaring your undying love for him. Also, when someone says the word "Prince" to you, don't respond with, "What prince? My prince?". He's not your prince. You don't own him, even though it seems you think the contrary.

With all her whining and obsession over a boy wanting to kill her, I felt that Meghan became the Bella Swan of the Fey. Then she thought this, and I was certain she was the Bella Swan of the Fey:
Sometimes I dreamed that Ash was in my room, standing in a corner or beside my bed, just watching me with his bright silver eyes.

....Wait, what?

Then she starts doubting herself, blaming herself because she thinks Ash hates her, and I just wanted to shake the living crap out of her. Does it matter if he hates you? You should really be focusing on the biggest task at hand.
Ash despised me. Everything he'd said and done was to bring me to his queen. He was a cheat. He'd used me, to further his own ends. And the saddest part was, I still loved him.

You're right, Meghan. That is pretty sad. At least you can admit it.

But then, Meghan, you got all jealous. You couldn't take the fact that Ash still loves his dead girlfriend, and the fact that he mourns over her and thinks of her constantly. I think this might have been the point where my hatred for Meghan truly formed. It sickens me to think that Meghan was deliberately trying to get in between Ash and Ariella's relationship, and that she was jealous of his mourning over her. I didn't know someone could be so shallow until I read that.

My hatred of Meghan pretty much expanded from there, especially when she went with Ash and left Puck. I can't even describe how bad I felt for Puck. (like I mentioned earlier in the review, he's always been there for her, and the fact that she's siding with a boy who's tried to kill her on multiple occasions must've hurt).

The many stupid decisions of Meghan Chase eventually led to a school dance, where she met up with Scott. You know Scott. The boy who took a picture with Meghan and photoshopped it into a naked picture and sent it to the whole school in book one? I was so happy when Meghan saw Scott there. I thought there would be some slapping, some cursing, some defending herself...

What the hell was I thinking?

I mean, seriously. We're talking about Meghan Chase. The Bella Swan of the Fey. I don't even know why I got my hopes up in thinking she'd stand up for herself and pour punch on Scott, or something like that. To be honest, I would've been happier if she just passed him by and sent him an evil glare, but seriously? You're going to have a dance with the freaking kid? And he doesn't even remember who you are? You can seriously let what he did to you go and dance with him? I was just... I couldn't even believe what I was reading. I knew Meghan was stupid, of course, but I didn't know she was that stupid. Still longing to dance with Mr. Popular, I see. Nothing's changed.

And then she sees Ash flirting with some girls and starts crying, at which point I was laughing at how pathetic she was. You're not even his girlfriend, stop crying. It doesn't make me feel empathy towards you, it only makes me laugh at you.

I won't be starting The Iron Queen right away; I think I need a break from Meghan's stupidity for a little bit. I'll be back, though, and I will continue and eventually finish this series. If Meghan's as stupid in the other books as she was in this one, it won't be easy.

But, I guess this is our goodbyes, Meghan. I'll... miss you...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Daughter.

April 9, 2012 – Shelved
April 23, 2012 – Started Reading
April 24, 2012 –
16.0% "It looks like Meghan is becoming the Bella Swan of the fey."
April 24, 2012 –
21.0% "Awww!"
April 25, 2012 –
32.0% "Puck!! You're back!!"
38.0% "Grimalkin's back!"
April 26, 2012 –
42.0% "This is taking me a while, but I'm just not feeling the urge I had with The Iron King to pick this up. Meghan has become the Bella Swan of the fey and is annoying me, and the pacing is all off. The only thing that can save this as of right now is the fact that Grimalkin and Puck are back."
April 26, 2012 –
55.0% "You'd think magical beings wouldn't need fake IDs to sneak into a building..."
April 26, 2012 –
60.0% ""I was minding my own business long before you and the princess started humping like rabbits." Way to ruin a moment, Grimalkin...\n \n It's okay, I still love you."
April 26, 2012 –
60.0% "Meghan, stop saying you cheated on Ash. Stop saying he dumped you. You didn't cheat on Ash, and he didn't dump you. You two were nothing to begin with, that relationship was only a fantasy in your head."
April 27, 2012 –
65.0% "I can't be the only one who finds the fact that Meghan is deliberately trying to get in between Ash and Ariella's relationship sickening, and that she's actually jealous of his mourning over her, can I? I swear, I'm finding Meghan more and more unlikable each page I read."
April 27, 2012 – Shelved as: disappointments
April 27, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-reads
April 27, 2012 – Shelved as: i-totally-saw-that-coming
April 27, 2012 –
84.0% "Goodness.... Meghan, you're not Ash's boyfriend... Don't start crying when you see girls flirting with him, it's pathetic."
April 27, 2012 –
84.0% "You. Are. Pathetic, Meghan. You've just reached a whole new level of pathetic. You don't dance with the boy who played a prank on you in which he photoshopped a picture of you to make you naked. You should be slapping him right now. You should be unleashing your freaking wrath! Not flirting with him and dancing with him! What he did to you was horrible... I can't. I just. I can't..."
100.0% "Unicorn power!"
April 27, 2012 – Shelved as: read-reviewed
April 27, 2012 – Finished Reading
April 28, 2012 – Shelved as: hand-me-some-tissues
April 28, 2012 – Shelved as: judge-a-book-by-the-cover
May 7, 2012 – Shelved as: take-your-insta-love-and-leave
September 2, 2012 – Shelved as: love-triangle

Haleema This review is so freakishly similar to mine, it's not even funny. It's like we are twins, Blythe.

Epic.

Blythe Haleema wrote: "This review is so freakishly similar to mine, it's not even funny. It's like we are twins, Blythe.

Epic."

Bahahaha! The few things I liked in this book are similar to the things you liked. (the kiss, the tux) I was very happy when I read the kiss :)

Haleema This was me when they kissed:

description

With more fangirling.

(view spoiler)

Blythe Haleema wrote: "This was me when they kissed:

With more fangirling.

[spoilers removed]"

I love that gif! lol! (view spoiler)

Haleema Yes! I was going to ask you about Phin! I just can't help but see them together. She would always remind me of Puck, with her grins and mischievous attitude. Too bad Kagawa never thought of them like that... Tis' a shame.

But Puck will always be my one love.

Yes, always. Devotion.

Blythe Haleema wrote: "Yes! I was going to ask you about Phin! I just can't help but see them together. She would always remind me of Puck, with her grins and mischievous attitude. Too bad Kagawa never thought of them li..."

Me, too. Ash is okay and all, but he's pretty boring. Not to mention the whole trying to kill Meghan and all. As a person, I like Ash. As a couple, I don't like Ash and Meghan together. I'm all the way for Puck and Meghan together. Alas, it's not happening. I can't wait to see what all the buzz is about the end of TIQ. Everywhere I look someone says it made them cry. Grimalkin or Puck better not die!

Blythe Phin. I love that! :) Ash+Meghan=..... Mesh? Ashan? Sounds ugly. Puck+Meghan=... Muck? Peghan? I'm not good at this. (at least Meghan's name didn't start with an "F". That would be an interesting couple name... Kinda like Katniss+Peeta=Peniss).

Bonnie LOL Katniss+Peeta = I totally just snorted.

Blythe Bonnie wrote: "LOL Katniss+Peeta = I totally just snorted.

Great review Blythe. And that Buzz Lightyear was the most perfect GIF ever. hahaha"

Thanks, Bonnie! I know, I love that gif! :)

Bonnie I can think of several reviews where that would have worked great. haha So many incredibly dumb YA heroines.

Blythe I know! It's a perfect gif for those types of YA books with those types of heroines.

Bonnie Definitely. Might have to keep that on hand for the near future. (Like my review for Hourglass) Okay, not really, she's not THAT bad.

Blythe I really look forward to reading your review of Hourglass! My library has it, so I'll probably just get it from them. It seems like it's not very good from all your (hilarious) status updates.

Bonnie I checked it out from my library so I could make sure that it was worth requesting Timepiece. Am quite glad I did because I don't think I'll be continuing the series.

I just have little patience for insta-love and on top of that she manages to throw in a love triangle. It just ruined the whole thing for me. I'm not sure I even have enough patience to write a review. Maybe a mini one. :)

Blythe Bonnie wrote: "I checked it out from my library so I could make sure that it was worth requesting Timepiece. Am quite glad I did because I don't think I'll be continuing the series.

I just have little patience f..."

A mini one is good enough! I hate a very small amount of tolerance for insta-love, too. Doesn't look like Hourglass and I will get along well.

Bonnie I had been excited this one for a while so it's quite a disappointment. I know a lot of people that loved it.

Blythe I've read a lot of negative reviews, but then I've read a lot of positive reviews. From your updates and other people's reviews the main character constantly obsesses over one of the male love interests, which I have a problem with (hence the whole Iron Daughter dilemma).

Bonnie mm-hmm... and boy does she OBSESS. It's quite ridiculous... I'm less than 100 pages from finishing and I'm still surprised that I was able to keep going. hahaha

Blythe I probably won't last as long as you if it's really that bad. I have a low tolerance for that type of stuff. I'll just decline the request to read Timepiece. The damn cover for Timepiece suckered me in.

Bonnie The cover for Hourglass sucked me in... unfortunately that appears to be the best thing about the book. I'm interested to see how you'll feel now. :)

Blythe Maybe I'll start it after I'm done with Monstrous Beauty. I plan on starting that tonight. I don't think I've ever read a mermaid book, and based on the reviews, this should be a good place to start. I also have Lies Beneath, just in case I'm crazing more mermaid-ness.

Bonnie I haven't read either of those.

Blythe Bonnie wrote: "I haven't read either of those.
I'm trying to think of what mermaid books I have read and... I can't think of a single one!"

I couldn't, either! I thought I read one, and then when I actually tried thinking of a title I couldn't find one. I also got another library book called Wildefire. It's gotten some really bad reviews, but then a few good reviews, so when I found it at my library I took it and will see for myself. :)

Bonnie Sometimes you just have to do that. Bad reviews don't necessarily mean it will be bad for you. :)

Blythe Yup, and there are some books that get rave reviews that I wasn't too crazy about (like Unraveling).

Bonnie It happens. I haven't read that one yet but it's on my list. :)

The one that continues to make me feel like I read a different book entirely is This Is Not a Test. I gave it 2.5 stars and I swear everyone and their mother was giving it 5 stars.

Blythe I literally just read a 5 star review for that. I want to read it, but I'm not sure about it. I'm not much of a zombie fan.

Bonnie Well, then honestly it might be right up your alley. I went into it expecting zombies and there really weren't a lot of them. (I'm a big zombie fan :D) So it might work for you!

Blythe Hmm, then it might be right up my alley! I'll give it a shot. I must've missed it when it was available on NetGalley or Edelweiss, so I'll wait until it's released. Does the lack of zombies make the book boring?

Bonnie Not really. Lots of angsty teen stuff going on at the same time. hahaha

Blythe Okay, thanks. We'll see if I like it. :)

Bonnie :) Hope so!

message 33: by Haleema (last edited Apr 28, 2012 08:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Haleema Blythe wrote: "Phin. I love that! :) Ash+Meghan=..... Mesh? Ashan? Sounds ugly. Puck+Meghan=... Muck? Peghan? I'm not good at this. (at least Meghan's name didn't start with an "F". That would be an interesting c..."

Meghan's name mixed with Ash and Puck = weird/sounds disgusting! Muck! Lol! This proves that she's not meant to be with any of them. 0_0 Just kidding. I actually changed my mind about Ash and Meghan being together. After reading all the books, they're actually perfect for each other. I wonder if you'll feel the same as well! (view spoiler)

LOL! The last gif! I thought she was just waving, but the finger gesture = amazing! I just noticed!

Blythe Well that's good to know that they're perfect for each other in the other books. (view spoiler)

LOL I love the last gif! :D I think it's from Mrs. Doubtfire with Robin Williams.

Haleema You will not be disappointed in the next book! (view spoiler)

Gifs = utterly necessary for reviews sometimes

Blythe I agree. There's no better way to display your feelings sometimes! I don't think I'm going to be disappointed in the next one. If Meghan really does change her attitude towards everything, the book and I will get along very well.

Blythe This is why I can't write reviews when I'm exhausted. I don't know how many things I just had to correct in my review.

Haleema Trust me, I randomly go through my old reviews some days and just edit them away. I like to perfect my art, ya know?

Blythe Katniss + Peeta can not only be Peniss, but also Katpee. See, their couple name sucks no matter what.

Haleema, I think I may need to revisit a few of my reviews, just in case I missed some things when editing it other times. I typically write my reviews at night, because that's when I do most of my reading, and after I finish a book I'm afraid I'll forget everything and try to write the basis of my review right then and there.

Pahel WOW. Couldn't have insulted Meghan better! *grin* That was awesome!! =D

message 41: by Pang (last edited Apr 03, 2014 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pang I couldn't agree with you more about Meghan in this book. Your review made me laugh! Loved it. Awesome review. :)