Kris43's Reviews > Scroll of Saqqara

Scroll of Saqqara by Pauline Gedge

Apr 09, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction, horror-historical, horror, egypt, favorites, sweet-evil, mythology-folklore, historical-ancient, supernatural-horror
Read from February 08 to 17, 2013

This is a big fat book. I imagine I could kill rats with it:)
But don't let that intimidate you. It may be huge, but it has the the special kind of charm that only a huge tome can have.

It reads like a historical fiction, only later if twists into horror. First 1/4 of the book is spend in interesting day to day description of Princes family, life, land, culture.
And all that at first lulls you in, before I know it I just wanted to know what will happen next.

Very fast in the book, I had my first big surprise. From the summary, I expected a greedy, power hungry, mean grave robber. The kind that kicks kittens....

Instead I got a gentle, rational man who has a lot of respect for his culture, country, history. He is very proud of his ancestry and sure in the rightness of his doing. He is a Egyptian prince and treats his subordinates well, not at all power hungry. He actually restores the pyramids that have been violated and preforms rituals to appease the dead and the Gods.

So.........Where is the problem? How does a man like that offend the Gods and condemns him self in such a way? The Prince spend his life exploring Egypt past, opening tombs and restoring them and yearning for forbidden knowledge. He also disturbed the rest of many dead. All wrapped up in scientific pursuit, but really secretly hoping to find The legendary scroll of Thoth. It has two spells on it. One spell gives the power of bodily resurrection to the one who legitimately speaks it, and the other gives him the ability to understand the language of everything living under the sun. All this sounds like something the Gods would mind if you mess with it, right?

The first signs of something sinister came slowly and gradually. One small deed at the time, until it all build a monstrous thing that came later. This book creates a masterful atmosphere of suspense. Every next small thing that happened gave me the feeling of dread. It all accumulated to the point of no return where i just couldn't believe what was happening and how it all got so wrong!

And in the end your greatest wish is granted, sweet Prince. The best curses are made out of parody of our own dreams!

P.S. Scrolls are evil, never touch them!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scroll of Saqqara.

02/09/2013
6.0% "This surprises me! From reading a summary, I expected a greedy, power hungry, mean grave robber. The kind that kicks kittens....Instead I got a men who has a lot of respect for his culture, country, history. Who is a Egyptian prince and treats his subordinates well, not at all power hungry. He actually restores the pyramids that have been violated and preforms rituals to appraise the dead and the gods. Hmmm..."
02/09/2013
6.0% "This surprises me! From reading a summary, I expected a greedy, power hungry, mean grave robber. The kind that kicks kittens....Instead I got a men who has a lot of respect for his culture, country, history. Who is a Egyptian prince and treats his subordinates well, not at all power hungry. He actually restores the pyramids that have been violated and preforms rituals to appease the dead and the gods. Hmmm..." 6 comments
02/10/2013
9.0% "I in turn hold the reins of government in these hands, these hands that dig, that search, that would willingly relinquish the dry, dumb details of administration if they could hold just once the Scroll of Thoth, the key to all power and all life. Sometimes I think that I would even relinquish my ka itself for the opportunity to possess the two spells the Scroll is said to contain."
02/10/2013
9.0% "One spell gives the power of bodily resurrection to the one who legitimately speaks it, and the other gives him the ability to understand the language of everything living under the sun."
02/14/2013
39.0% "Love this! It flows slowly and steadily, very atmospheric and suspenseful. Lots of little things build up pure dread. Like now, they are about to open a hidden door and im quite anxious about what will come out of it!"
02/15/2013
49.0% "What is this unease that borders on fear? I do not like the silence either. It is not calm, not a contented aura through which we might all move. It is like an invisible veil of obscure purpose that isolates us, cutting us off from events outside its power."
02/17/2013
84.0% "No! How did it all turn out so wrong! Like, the last 50 pages i'm screaming: No! This cant be happening! And its only getting worse! He should never touched that scroll."
02/17/2013
99.0% "You greatest wish is granted, sweet prince. The best curses ate made out of parody's of our dreams."
09/01/2016 marked as: read
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara Your review is just so likeable. There's no other word for it!