Karen's Reviews > The Lost Book of Adana Moreau

The Lost Book of Adana Moreau by Michael Zapata

190448

Maxwell closed his eyes and thought of nothing and everything, all at once, just as Saul had taught him, as if he were walking through a dark labyrinth, the center of which was bathed in moonlight, or, like his missing father, sailing through an endless dark blue sea toward something unknown. Then he opened his eyes and began to read.

This is one of the most unusual books I've read in a while. The whole time I was reading it, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I wasn't fully sure what was happening or where the story was going. And even after finishing the book, I am not fully sure how I feel about it. I want to make sure to mention that this is not a "plot" driven book. Not much happens in this book. Actually that's not true. A lot happens in this book, but it's like you get to know each character and their life story and how they get to be where they are and who they are so there is a lot happening but none of it is a single plot the story follows. The only plot is really that Saul finds Adana's book and wants to return it to her son as his grandfather requested. That's the actual plot. The rest is really the story of each of the characters. There are a lot of historical events and politics in this book surrounding the lives of each of the characters.

Some parts where more interesting to me than others and I loved the writing throughout but I didn't fall in love with the book until I read how Maxwell and Saul's grandfather meet. That section was by far my very favorite of the book.

In the end I loved my time with this unusual story.

But no matter how much we think we know, we end up knowing so little of our parents and even less of our grandparents, most lives are forgotten as soon as they’ve occurred.

with gratitude to netgalley and Hanover Square Press for an early copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Book of Adana Moreau.

December 21, 2019 – Started Reading