Paperback Dolls's Reviews > Kiss of Pride

Kiss of Pride by Sandra Hill

Apr 09, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, reviewed-by-kitt, adv-readers-copy, 1-star, reviewed-2012, dnf
Read on May 01, 2012

Originally posted at PaperbackDolls.com.

I really do try my best to finish every book. If the story is interesting enough, I will find the strength to muddle my way through to the end. It’s a compulsion for me, the NEED to know what will happen next. Slowly but surely, I’m learning quickly to just stop instead of subjecting myself further to a book I just don’t like.

Kiss of Pride should have been a triple threat. I mean Viking Vampire Angels? Score, right? Unfortunately for me, no. I tried really hard for over a week to get through the first hundred pages to no avail. From the very first pages we’re greeted with a subject matter that doesn’t match the levity of its language, but instead comes off completely absurd and just plain immature:

”I am deeply disappointed in the Vikings. I made them proud examples of a favored race.”
Lightning bolts shot from Gods hands, which He raised on high, and the clouds wept.
“Micheal!” God called out, and immediately appeared the Archangel Micheal, feathers flying as he rushed to His side.
Without words, Michael could see down below to what had so offended his Lord. “Tsk, tsk!” was the best he could come up with.

“God loved Michael’s idea. “You will head this enterprise. Viking vampire angels. Well, not really angels. More like angels-in-training.”
The archangel gasped with horror at his mistake. “Oh, not me, Lord. I have to help St. Peter repair the Pearly Gates. And Noah is building another ark. We have no room to put another ark. And those hippos! Phew!”

Kiss of Pride is the first in Ms. Hill’s Deadly Angels paranormal romance series designed to tell the story of the seven VIK who each committed one of the seven deadly sins and must now spend their lives as one of God’s vangels – vampire angels – fighting against the Lucipires – Lucifer’s vampires.

Now, I will admit to being somewhat shallow myself in choosing Kiss of Pride. That cover is HOT and who doesn’t secretly harbor desires for Viking Vampires, hmm? However, after reading just a short way through, that’s where all my interests ended. I didn’t get much past the introductions to the story and characters to report on more of what happens, but I can say what irritated me the most was the gravity of the situations warred with the humor. I, for one, am all for humor in books, but sometimes too much can make a mockery out of what is trying to be conveyed and make it all sound rather empty and foolish.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Pride.