Kate's Reviews > Death in Venice and Other Stories

Death in Venice and Other Stories by Thomas Mann

Apr 09, 2012

bookshelves: 2012

I felt rather guilty about this book- it contains five separate stories, and yet I'd only ever read 'Death In Venice' itself up until now. I'm a bad reader, and an even worse student...

Now, I decided to read the rest of the collection after reading 'Death In Venice' at University, and it was well worth it. It boosted the rating by an extra star, because after reading the novellas Mann wrote prior to Death In Venice, I felt that I could understand the characterisation of Aschenbach a lot more. Mann seems to focus on the theme of 'doomed love', and, although initially the characters of each novella are likable, I ended up completely pitying them. The only story I felt let down by was 'Tonio Kröger' which was bland on all accounts.

I've read a couple of negative reviews regarding 'Death In Venice' and the taboo feelings Aschenbach acquires, but ignoring that, I really do think the story is rather wonderfully written, and Mann obviously knows how to write tragedy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in Venice and Other Stories.

April 9, 2012 – Started Reading