Emily's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

Apr 09, 2012

I was skeptical about the premise of this book. I became even more skeptical when at the beginning of the book I found out the little boy's dad (author of the book) was a minister. It seems like a lot of what the little boy said about Jesus/heaven could have been things he just picked up from being around his religious family and church. However, there are also things he describes and claims to have seen that he probably could not have known by any earthly means. I don't have any reason to question the truthfulness of the dad/author so I did read the book with the attitude that he is telling the truth. Did this little boy actually go to heaven? Or was what he saw a dream or the effects of anesthesia? I guess there is no way to know that. However, I am a Christian and I have read other books like this describing life after death and near-death experiences, and thanks to my religious perspective and my faith, I can believe the things described in this book are real and I certainly want and choose to believe that they could be real. I definitely believe in God and heaven (whatever it may be) and I see no reason why God couldn't give glimpses of the afterlife to people before sending them back to earth.

This book was interesting: at times it made me be skeptical and questioned the reliablity of this book and works like it (which I didn't like) but an equal or better amount of the time, it strengthened my faith and motivated me to be more childlike in my relationship with God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.