Samantha's Reviews > Lovecraft Country

Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff

“But you love these stories!” Atticus said. “You love them as much as I do!”

“I do love them,” George agreed. “But stories are like people, Atticus. Loving them doesn’t make them perfect. You try to cherish their virtues and overlook their flaws. The flaws are still there, though.”
__________________

That quote is a peek into the heart of this novel. Problematic loves, complex relationships. I suspect the quote was part of the genesis of the book: written by someone who admired Lovecraft's mythos and ideas, but had a harder time with the racism and hatred. A reader like me.

Yes, the book is about Lovecraft, working from the premise that the occult world portrayed in his works really exists and that descendants of earlier practitioners still live today. Atticus Turner, one such descendent, is pulled into life-threatening intrigue by the accident of his blood.

But Atticus has other monsters to deal with as well, as a returning vet of the Korean war making his way across the country in the Jim Crow America of the 1950s.

This intermingling of exploration of racial prejudice and more esoteric horrors made for a book that was both highly entertaining and thought-provoking. It becomes an epic battle of underdogs and wizards, of survivors and master manipulators, of loyal family and entitled rich people.

I really loved it. So glad this was my first read of 2020.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lovecraft Country.

December 20, 2019 – Shelved