Rukky's Reviews > Ink and Bone

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine

bookshelves: recommended-by-a-friend, fantasy, ya, favorites, anticipated-reads-of-2020, borrowed-library, dark, ebook, romance, rtc
Recommended to Rukky by: the owl

It was really good. I was put off by the characters a little at the start, but then I got used to it and I enjoyed it.

I understood everything that was going in the middle of the book, so it was no surprise at all towards the end. Which was really disappointing. There was only one shock (view spoiler) and even that was rather mild.

But I liked the plot, I liked the idea. Their battle to survive, how they went from kids who knew that the Library was partly wrong in some way, to discovering that it's beyond wrong and that it should be torn apart to shreds (that may be just my personal opinion), how they grew and their friendships (and romances) blossomed, I loved that. Mostly the friendships, especially Thomas and Jess. I wish they'd had more time together, because it felt really short and sparse the number of times Thomas and Jess had one on one convos, but I still loved their friendship wholeheartedly.

And Khalila who I was so excited to meet. Who was honestly the only reason why I picked up the book. She's so awesome and perfect in so many ways. I really really wish that she'd had more page time, that Dario, Thomas, Glain, and Morgan all had more page time or even chapters from their own POVs, because that would have been awesome.

Khalila is who she is, and she she's not at all afraid to speak her mind. She's the calm during the storm, the person who is always in control. But she wasn't just responsible and brave. She was kind, she was witty, and she cared about them all so much and I really really really loved that. Being Muslim didn't stop her, it didn't hinder her, it didn't become the focus with her. Everyone accepted it without a second glance and that was that and idk, that was so BEAUTIFULLY AWESOME.

Dario is the friend-enemy who you hate so much that you love, and I really really enjoyed having him in the story. He and Jess have a special friendship of their own and I wish there had been more of that.

Thomas was the biggest softest jellybean in the world, and I felt so sad and sorry and pained for him. He has such a soft kind heart, and his glee and excitement when it came to engineering was so sweet to see.

Glain. She's the army commander of their little group who acts like she hates everyone, but in reality, probably cares a lot more than she wants to admit.

Morgan. Honestly, Morgan was sweet, her determination to run, her fierce and continued attempts to escape what the Library had decided was her fate, it made me cheer her on. It made me hope so much that she would make it. And maybe she did. Maybe she didn't. You'll have to read the book to find out.

But honestly, with all the characters, including Wolfe and Santi, I just wanted more. I wanted a chance for them to really really shine, to not be sidelined so much by the plot and action. I wanted more special moments with each of them and I'd probably cry with happiness if they all got their own POVs. The few that we got with each of them was awesome, but I really wanted more.

I feel like this is all over the place, but I'm too tired to bother making it more coherent.

FRTC.

(view spoiler)

Oh. And what I said about Wolfe earlier in the status update, I take it back. I don't hate him. But he's still very seriously intense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ink and Bone.

December 20, 2019 – Shelved
December 20, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
December 20, 2019 – Shelved as: recommended-by-a-friend
December 20, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 20, 2019 – Shelved as: ya
January 13, 2020 – Started Reading
January 14, 2020 –
6.0% ""As Jess watched in numb horror, the man tore a page from the book and stuffed it into his mouth ."
...
"But it was the world in which he lived, in London, in the year 2025."

Ha! 2025. In five years our world shall be like this??? I really hope not. I sincerely hope not."
January 15, 2020 –
36.0% ""The reading of all good books is like conversation with the finest men of the past centuries."

I'd like to add women as well.

But man, Wolfe is intense. CRUEL and intense. I'd probably have left already. Or had a breakdown every single night. And he annoys me. His games are cruel and unfair, and I hate him. I'm feeling anxiety at the mere thought of meeting him...let alone being his student."
January 15, 2020 –
48.0% "They all have secrets!!! I just understood everything now and I'm shook, and I can't believe the cruelty of this! And Wolfe and Santi. Everything is making so much sense!!"
January 16, 2020 – Shelved as: favorites
January 16, 2020 – Shelved as: anticipated-reads-of-2020
January 16, 2020 – Shelved as: borrowed-library
January 16, 2020 – Shelved as: dark
January 16, 2020 – Shelved as: ebook
January 16, 2020 – Shelved as: romance
January 16, 2020 – Shelved as: rtc
January 16, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

the owl Lovely review ❤️
I'm so happy you enjoyed it 🥳
Yeah I agree that the characters should've gotten more time but maybe the second book fixes that? Idk I need to pick it tho 😭

Rukky Thanks Zahra!! I'm glad I enjoyed it too!! (view spoiler)

Oh, I've already borrowed the second book 😂😂 Hopefully it does!! It would be so much more amazing, even if it's only Glain who gets more interactions with Jess since they are together. (view spoiler)

the owl (view spoiler)

Rukky the owl wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

message 5: by may ❀ (new) - added it

may ❀ i've been meaning to read this series for SO LONG (ok maybe i'm super interested bc i heard there's a hijabi in FANTASY!!!!) but i'm always hesitant to start a new series. i'm so glad you enjoyed it, i'm definitely going to prioritize it now

message 6: by Twila (new) - added it

Twila Fab review, Rukky!

the owl (view spoiler)

Rukky may ❀ wrote: "i've been meaning to read this series for SO LONG (ok maybe i'm super interested bc i heard there's a hijabi in FANTASY!!!!) but i'm always hesitant to start a new series. i'm so glad you enjoyed i..."

YES! That's pretty much the only reason why I picked this book up. Yes, you definitely need to prioritize it. I just really wish there had been more of Khalila and all the other characters in general, but hopefully that will come in the later books!

Rukky Twila wrote: "Fab review, Rukky!"

Thanks Twila!!

Rukky the owl wrote: "{spoilers removed}"

(view spoiler)

the owl Rukky wrote: {spoilers removed}"

I'm glad I'm not alone in my sentiments 😄

the owl Guess what?
I went to the library today and I found the second book!!!
I'm so excited to read it 🥳🥳🥳

Rukky Yay!!! I hope you enjoy it!! I've got a couple of other books to read before I start it, but I can't wait to hear your thoughts!