C.G. Drews's Reviews > Fly for Both of Us

Fly for Both of Us by E. Mellyberry

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult, read-2020

This is one of those lovely, aching contemporaries. It's here to make your heart soft and warm and then directly softly and lovingly smother you with feelings. Like why are you lying on the the floor there, staring into the sky with empty eyes? THIS BOOK 😌😭It's a romance that stretches across years and half the world, about two teens who have ever reason to fall out of love and move on and forget about each other. But they can't.

quick list of things I loved
📖it's mostly set in Hong Kong
📖#ownvoices rep!!
📖talks about the difficulties of being bilingual
📖Ben is from Hong Kong and Kai is Indian/British
📖there is SO MUCH FOOD, it is a foodie paradise book
📖 lots of lovely angst 😌

[characters]
For contemporaries (and romance focused books!) I really have to love the characters to feel emotionally involved, and I diiiiid for this! So much. Ben is absolutely shy and awkward, he is this huge Star Trek nerd. He's a photographer and has an epic instagram account...and he totally would eat the same food every day and never talk to anyone ever. (He is, absolutely, relatable content.) Then we have Kai, up-and-coming model, who is extroverted and loud and has bold and brash dreams and wrestles Ben out of his comfort zone by daring them to buy each other different/weird lunches for a week. Ben goes from terrified of flirting, to just being so softly and gently in love -- IT'S ADORABLE. Honestly they both are adorable. Here for the gentle boys, and the ambitious girls.

[story]
It actually stretches over several years, with the beginning featuring Ben and Kai being 16 and by the end they're in they are 21. There are lots of time gaps in the story, so you get told a bit of what happens in retrospect, but I loved the focus on their relationship and then just themselves: together and apart. It's angsty and romantic and stressful and full of bitterness and then love.

Ben is terrified of ruining Kai's life and modelling career by holding her back. Kai is lonely and heartsick without Ben. But they don't FIT together -- do they?

[a romance to twist your heart]
I devoured the whole book in one day and it's really easy to read. I loved the Chinese and Indian cultural love, the attention to detail with being an interracial couple, the love and devotion to family and duty, but also dreams and ambitions. Lots of drama! Lots of bad decisions by these two disaster kids! I really liked the ending too. 🥺

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fly for Both of Us.

December 20, 2019 – Shelved