Britney's Reviews > Kill Me Softly

Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross

Apr 09, 2012

This is not your mamma’s fairytale! Disney meets Grimm meets Vegas... Kill Me Softly takes common fairytales and brings them to life in the modern world within their own secret community. Many are clearly recognizable while others remain a complete mystery until the final shocking moment. This is not simply a modern retelling of these fairytales. The author breathes new life into the stories, characters and settings while keeping both light and dark fairytale aspects.

The characters, while representing their particular tales, also have their own personal twists. They also exist together in one society. Some are friends, some foes, and some are outcasts, but they all interact together within the Vegas type setting of Beau Rivage. Places like the witch’s gingerbread house come to life as the Gingerbread Café and fairytale gifts like “animal magnetism” are bestowed on heroic princes. But it’s not all pretty, not by any means. There are curses, death and evil fairies that turn a sweet Disney tale into a Grimm type nightmare. Trapped by rules or destinies, the characters struggle to accept their curses and gifts.

This story is original and creative with dark consequences, cruel twists, and always a fear of “happily ever after.” I’m crossing my fingers for a sequel or companion novel set in this world. It was truly a fabulous read (it only took me a day and half to finish). I would definitely recommend Kill Me Softly to those who love fairytales and underdogs, but also those who enjoy clever, dark twists on typically happy endings. Certainly a must read.

*Review copy obtained from Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill Me Softly.