Petrik's Reviews > Peace Talks

Peace Talks by Jim Butcher

I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

Stunning finish and setup for the next installment, but I’m not sure whether this should’ve been divided into two books or not.

Some of you who follow my on Goodreads or Booktube most likely would know that this year, for me, is the year of reading The Dresden Files. Unlike many fans of the series, I didn’t spend six years waiting for Peace Talks, the long-awaited sixteenth book in the series, to come out. I did find the fans’ enthusiasm when the release date of this book was first announced to be very pleasing, and the hype erupted further when Butcher and his publishers announced that the seventeenth book in the series is, indeed, also being published this year. Now, I have no idea whether if I’ll enjoy this book more if I’ve waited that long or not; I read the entire series for the first time this year, after all. However, I certainly enjoyed many aspects of Peace Talks.

“Fear is a prison. But when you combine it with secrets, it becomes especially toxic, vicious. It puts us all into solitary, unable to hear one another clearly.”

If it weren’t obvious enough from the title yet, both Peace Talks and Battle Ground are clearly one big book divided into two volumes. I need to finish Battle Ground first before I finalized my thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not, but for now, I will say that there were a few moments in this book where the pacing suffers a bit. For example, there was one long action-packed chapter that could’ve been taken out completely, and the book most likely would become better for it. Also, I want to say that I’m not a huge fan of Harry’s extraordinary horniness that comes from using his new power; it made him want to bang every single girl he met. Honestly, it gets incredibly boring reading about this uncontrollable lust repeatedly; four books in a row now, and it seems like it will continue for more. So yeah, structural issues and the repetitive horniness aside, I highly enjoyed reading Peace Talks.

“But there's a deeper meaning to home. Something simpler, more primal. It's where you eat the best food because other predators can't take it from you very easily there. It's where you can your mate are the most intimate. Its where your raise your children, safe against a world that can be horrible things to them. It's where you sleep, safe. It's where you relax. It's where you dream. Home is where you embrace the present and plan the future. It's where the books are. And more than anything else, it's where you build the world that you want.”

As you can probably guess, there’s a limitation to the things I could say here. This is, after all, the sixteenth book in the series. I will, however, repeat myself and say that I truly loved the focus on family and making the hard choices in the name of it. This isn’t a new thing in The Dresden Files; family and love have always been some of the most evident running themes of the series. But I think the difficulty of the decisions that Harry has to do here and the impact it brings are one of the most pivotal in the series so far. Tough decisions have to be made, simple as that. Without giving any spoilers, the last 20% of this book was purely insane and cataclysmic. I am very excited to be jumping into Battle Ground immediately after the emotional confrontation and turn of events that occurred at the end of Peace Talks. Forces are gathering, and although the appearance of the new villain was quite sudden, I loved the world-ending scale story that the series is heading towards. This could truly be the most deadly enemy that Harry and co have to battle so far, and I’m so looking forward to reading about it.

“The pain we feel in life always grows. When we’re little, little pains hurt us. When we get bigger, we learn to handle more and more pain and carry on regardless.”

The setup in Peace Talks for Battle Ground has been done superbly, and as I mentioned, whether I’ll agree with the structural decision to turn it into two volumes or not remains to be seen. It’s crazy that currently there’s only one more published book in the series for me to read. The series has become so much more destructive and larger-in-scope than the first five books, and I hope the events of this book means Butcher is really working towards ending the series with a bang soon. Onward to Battle Ground!

You can order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping) | Bookshop (Support Local Bookstores!)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Special thanks to my Patrons on Patreon for giving me extra support towards my passion for reading and reviewing!

My Patrons: Alfred, Alya, Annabeth, Blaise, Devin, Diana, Edward, Hamad, Helen, Jimmy Nutts, Joie, Lufi, Michelle, Mike, Miracle, Nicholas, Zoe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peace Talks.

Quotes Petrik Liked

Jim Butcher
“Home, like love, hate, war, and peace, is one of those words that is so important that it doesn't need more than one syllable. Home is part of the fabric of who humans are. Doesn't matter if you're a vampire or a wizard or a secretary or a schoolteacher; you have to have a home, even if only in principle-there has to be a zero point from which you can make comparisons to everything else. Home tends to be it.
That can be a good thing, to help you stay oriented in avery confusing world. If you don't know where you feet are planted, you've got no way to know here you're heading when you start taking steps. It can be a bad thing, when you run into something so different from home that it scares you and makes you angry. That's also part of being human.
tags: home

tags: pain

December 18, 2019 – Shelved
November 8, 2020 – Started Reading
November 9, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Travis Can't wait to hear you thoughts on Battle Ground

Petrik Travis wrote: "Can't wait to hear you thoughts on Battle Ground"

Starting it now! :D

Aaron I can hardly contain my glee.

Petrik Aaron wrote: "I can hardly contain my glee."

That's great!!! :)

message 5: by A.R (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.R I honestly really enjoyed Peace Talks and Battleground, and think you will as well! So glad to see you caught up almost as well!

Petrik A.R wrote: "I honestly really enjoyed Peace Talks and Battleground, and think you will as well! So glad to see you caught up almost as well!"

Thank you, man! So exciting. I should be done with Battle Groudn tomorrow and then I'll read a short book (not sure yet) before Rhythm of War! :D

message 7: by A.R (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.R I forgot to say I completely hate the horniness in this series as well. Didn't like it since book one, but everything else is so well done and the characters are so good I can look past it.

As for a short book, how about The Forever War? One of my favorite sci fi books of all time. If not that, maybe Sabriel. Yes it is the start of a series, but the first book is just fine as a stand alone.

Petrik A.R wrote: "I forgot to say I completely hate the horniness in this series as well. Didn't like it since book one, but everything else is so well done and the characters are so good I can look past it.

As fo..."

Same here. People say Kvothe having sex was bad in The Wise Man's Fear, but I think the non-stop horny thoughts that Harry has throughout the series is far worse. It has gotten better after the first three books, imo, but this (view spoiler) I still enjoy the series, though. Just found this to be redundant.

Oh I've heard about The Forever War and Sabriel, I'll take a look at both. It's either one of those or maybe I'll read Becky Chamber's slice-of-life space opera. We'll see! :D