Petrik's Reviews > Skin Game

Skin Game by Jim Butcher

bookshelves: favorites

I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

Skin Game is a parkour to 5 stars. Parkour!

“Did you shout 'Parkour'?" Michael asked.
"Well, sure," I said. "That was kinda Parkour-like."
Michael fought to keep a smile off his face. "Harry," he said, "I'm almost certain one does not shout 'Parkour.' I believe one is supposed to simply do Parkour."
"Do I criticize your Latin battle cries? No, never once.”

As I’ve mentioned in my recent Booktube video, Rothfuss’s review on Skin Game plus the insanely high average rating on Goodreads was the biggest motivator on why I finally decided to read The Dresden Files. I’m extremely pleased to say that this lived up to all the praises, and I personally think this is one of the best books in the series; it’s definitely up there with Changes for me.

“Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave.”

Skin Game is the fifteenth book in The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. After the previous three books that were darker and more serious in tone, Skin Game is bringing the tone of the series back to pre-Changes novels. The differences, though, Butcher managed to maintain all the superb characterizations, engaging writing, and most of all, the significantly improved action sequences of the previous three books into this book. Oh man, it actually annoyed me how much I want to say here. There’s so much brilliant moment packed into this one book, but I genuinely think that the twists and turns, the humor, the heartfelt moment, plus all the “whoaaaaaa!” moment should be experienced by every reader without getting spoiled. There’s a mission, and it’s an incredibly dangerous heist. Although justice, power, faith, hope, and family are constantly recurring themes throughout the series, I think these themes in the narrative of Skin Game were some of the most emotional and memorable yet.

“Things are not always as bad as they seem. Sometimes, the darkness only makes it easier to see the light.”

It’s been repeated several times in my review for some books in the series, but I think it’s worth recognizing and remembering just how much has happened since Storm Front; Harry Dresden himself was still 25 years old in the first book, he’s at his late 30’s in Skin Game. More than a decade of stories, heartbreak, and mayhem has occurred to Harry, and believe me that I do feel bad for him; I hope Butcher has a happy/satisfying ending in his plan for him. However, this situation applies to all of Harry’s companions, and I loved reading every single development done for Harry and friends. I must say, there are so many great characters in this series, and Michael and Butters are two of my utmost favorite characters from the series; it’s so great to see them being in the spotlight again here. No spoilers, but let’s just say they were pivotal to why Skin Game became my favorite installment in the series.

“Nice try?” Butters said. “Mister, where I come from, there is no try.”

Additionally, my favorite villain of the series is now back; it seemed like it’s been so long since I’ve read about him, and I must say I’m starting to like him more now. Butcher has imbued great characterizations and complexities to this particular villain, and I’m also seriously astounded by the unpredictable actions and results packed into this one volume. I mean, I finished reading the last quarter of the novel in one sitting; I couldn’t put the book down at all. Magic, mythologies, monsters, angels, and other creatures were here, it was non-stop engaging actions with high stakes, and the last quarter contained one of the best chapters within the entire series so far.

Picture: Octokong by Mika Kuloda.

“One doesn’t destroy an empire built on pain and terror neatly,” Michael said, “if history is to be any indicator.”

I don’t have anything else to say, believe the super positive reviews and average ratings for this book. Skin Game is easily one of the best books in the series, and I’m so damn happy I don’t have to wait six years to read the next installment. Peace Talks and Battle Grounds awaits, and I will binge read them back to back early next month.

“The touch of another person’s hands.
“Hands that wrap us in warmth, that hold us close. Hands that guide us to shelter, to comfort, to food. Hands that hold and touch and reassure us through our very first crisis, and guide us into our very first shelter from pain. The first thing we ever learn is that the touch of someone else’s hand can ease pain and make things better.
“That’s power. That’s power so fundamental that most people never even realize it exists.”

You can order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping) | Bookshop (Support Local Bookstores!)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Special thanks to my Patrons on Patreon for giving me extra support towards my passion for reading and reviewing!

My Patrons: Alfred, Alya, Annabeth, Blaise, Devin, Diana, Hamad, Helen, Jimmy Nutts, Joie, Michelle, Mike, Miracle, Nicholas, Zoe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skin Game.

Quotes Petrik Liked

Jim Butcher
Jim Butcher, Skin Game

Jim Butcher
“There’s power in the touch of another person’s hand. We acknowledge it in little ways, all the time. There’s a reason human beings shake hands, hold hands, slap hands, bump hands.

“It comes from our very earliest memories, when we all come into the world blinded by light and color, deafened by riotous sound, flailing in a suddenly cavernous space without any way of orienting ourselves, shuddering with cold, emptied with hunger, and justifiably frightened and confused. And what changes that first horror, that original state of terror?

“The touch of another person’s hands.

Jim Butcher, Skin Game

December 18, 2019 – Shelved
October 11, 2020 – Started Reading
October 13, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by A.R (new) - rated it 5 stars

A.R This really is one of my favorites of the series! Can't wait to see your review for the next two books as well. Dresden really has become one of my favorite series of all time!

THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan) Nicely reviewed bro. This was an entertaining read. However, keep your expectations average for the next two books. They're okay, but lacks something which was a little frustrating for me. Battleground is one huge action drama, and the characterisation almost goes downhill.

Petrik A.R wrote: "This really is one of my favorites of the series! Can't wait to see your review for the next two books as well. Dresden really has become one of my favorite series of all time!"

I know right? It was incredible! I hope the next two will be as good as this again! Though it will be hard... xD

Petrik THE BIBLIOPHILE wrote: "Nicely reviewed bro. This was an entertaining read. However, keep your expectations average for the next two books. They're okay, but lacks something which was a little frustrating for me. Battlegr..."

Thank you, bro! I hope this will be one of those rare cases where I'll disagree with you. I'll read Peace Talks and Battle Ground back to back next month! :)

message 5: by Moritz (new)

Moritz nice review man, seeing you liking the f out of these books gets me really excited to continue them. I´m currently 2 books in, probably starting the 3rd one this week.

Ginger You're almost caught up with me! Great job this year and I'm so glad you ended up liking this series. Great review Petrik!

Petrik Moritz wrote: "nice review man, seeing you liking the f out of these books gets me really excited to continue them. I´m currently 2 books in, probably starting the 3rd one this week."

Thank you, man! It's such a great series. I pretty much enjoyed everything since book 4! :)

Petrik Ginger wrote: "You're almost caught up with me! Great job this year and I'm so glad you ended up liking this series. Great review Petrik!"

message 9: by Ginger (last edited Oct 14, 2020 11:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ginger Petrik wrote: "Thank you, Ginger! This was one of the long series I plan to finish this year; the other was The Expanse. Next year, it will be Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell! :)"

Nice! I'm hoping to get to Peace Talks and Battle Ground soon, hopefully in the next few months. Enjoy!

Nicole E. Agreed, if this isn't the best one in the series it's top 3 hands down. Also, if you pay attention there's a pattern to when that particular villain comes up. :P

Petrik Ginger wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Thank you, Ginger! This was one of the long series I plan to finish this year; the other was The Expanse. Next year, it will be Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell! :)"

Nice! I'm hopin..."

Woohoo! Thank you! :)

Petrik Nicole wrote: "Agreed, if this isn't the best one in the series it's top 3 hands down. Also, if you pay attention there's a pattern to when that particular villain comes up. :P"

Yeah! Plenty of people mentioned it that every 5 books is the pattern. That means we'll see him again in Book #20 and finally the last book, #25!? :O

message 13: by Jake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jake Bishop Originally there was only supposed to be 23 books, so I imagine 25 will probably be a little bigger then the Nickelheads.

Petrik Jake wrote: "Originally there was only supposed to be 23 books, so I imagine 25 will probably be a little bigger then the Nickelheads."

LOL Nickelheads! xD

We'll see! I love him as a villain, though, I wouldn't mind if he became the last boss. But yeah, I think The Outsiders or something might be the true final boss.

message 15: by GIANNI (new)

GIANNI MANZANO Do you know if all these books are available in paperback? It appears that they are not. I am not a fan of the smaller print found in mass market paperbacks and I am hoping I am wrong in this observation. Thank you for your reviews and your Youtube channel.

Petrik GIANNI wrote: "Do you know if all these books are available in paperback? It appears that they are not. I am not a fan of the smaller print found in mass market paperbacks and I am hoping I am wrong in this obser..."

Thank you, Gianni. Oh for paperbacks, they're available, but they're published in UK by Orbit. If you're on USA, you might have to get them from Book Depository. For example:

If you want to buy the entire series, make sure that you're buying the same edition (with the same typography and published by Orbit.)

I hope that helps! :)

message 17: by GIANNI (new)

GIANNI MANZANO Thanks, will do that.