Petrik's Reviews > Storm Front

Storm Front by Jim Butcher

bookshelves: owned-ebooks
Recommended for: Urban fantasy readers

3.5/5 stars

Storm Front is an introductory and page-turning installment to a beloved urban fantasy series.

I am not much of an expert on urban fantasy sub-genre, I certainly haven’t read as much urban fantasy compared to high fantasy, and almost all of the majority of urban fantasy series I’ve thoroughly loved has been UF series that took place in a fictional world rather than ours; The Green Bone Saga by Fonda Lee and The Divine Cities trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett are a great example of this. Many trusted readers and friends of mine who understands my reading taste, however, have convinced me that if there’s one urban fantasy series—with a contemporary setting—that I would end up loving, it’s The Dresden Files by Jim Bucher. Well, here I am, I’m officially starting my journey with this series.

“There is no truer gauge of a man's character than the way in which he employs his strength, his power.”

Storm Front is the first book in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, and we follow Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden—the only Private Investigator that’s also a Wizard in town. If I'm not mistaken, this series is planned to be 23 or 24 books long. Storm Front is without a doubt an introductory installment to a long series. Many huge fans of the series have warned me that it takes three or four books for the greatness of the series to truly “begin.” I honestly expected this book to be much worse because of this, but as it turns out, I actually thought that Storm Front was very enjoyable to read.

Many readers have voiced criticisms that the first three books are very typical and formulaic by today’s story standard, and yes, that is true. I haven’t read the next books yet, but at least as far as the first book goes, I can’t deny their claim. But, we do need to go back a bit and put some things in perspective here. Storm Front was first published twenty years ago.

Let that sink in for a while.

I wasn’t even in middle school yet when this book was first published! Now I’m reading this in a time of a pandemic. Maybe instead of calling the first three books to be unoriginal because of the formulaic story structure, it would be more apt to say that Storm Front and The Dresden Files series to be—at least one of—the perpetrator responsible for popularizing that formula within the sub-genre in the first place.

“Where instinct fails, intellect must venture."

I’m not saying that this book isn’t without its issue, it will not blow your mind, but even putting modern storytelling standards into account, I can’t deny that I had a great time reading this short book. Storm Front is a fun and quick read that introduces Harry Dresden, the characters, the magic, and the world-building within a compelling murder mystery plot nicely. Oddly, I didn’t click with Butcher’s Codex Alera series; I haven’t continued the series past the first two books, which is odd because Codex Alera is a high fantasy series—my favorite sub-genre to read. As for The Dresden Files, if Storm Front is indeed the weakest book of the entire series, it seems like we’re going to have a lot of fun adventures together, Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden.

Picture: Storm Front by Vincent Chong

You can order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Special thanks to my Patrons on Patreon for giving me extra support towards my passion for reading and reviewing!

My Patrons: Alfred, Devin, Hamad, Joie, Mike, Miracle, Nicholas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Front.

Quotes Petrik Liked

Jim Butcher
“I don't want to live in a world where the strong rule and the weak cower. I'd rather make a place where things are a little quieter. Where trolls stay the hell under their bridges and where elves don't come swooping out to snatch children from their cradles. Where vampires respect the limits, and where the faeries mind their p's and q's. My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call. I'm in the book.”
Jim Butcher, Storm Front

Jim Butcher
“Where instinct fails, intellect must venture.”
Jim Butcher, Storm Front

December 18, 2019 – Shelved
March 23, 2020 – Started Reading
March 24, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)

Em Lost In Books Keeping fingers crossed. 😀

Petrik Em Lost In Books wrote: "Keeping fingers crossed. 😀"

Fingers crossed! I'll get to book 2 soon! Have you seen the announcement for book 17 yesterday?

Em Lost In Books Nope. What is it?

Petrik Em Lost In Books wrote: "Nope. What is it?"

Here you go: https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/st...

Book 16 and book 17 of Dresden Files comes out this year! :)

Em Lost In Books Wow!! That's a great news. :)

message 6: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey Great review Petrik unlike you I’m a big fan of the codex alera saga so maybe I will try the Dresden books

Petrik Em Lost In Books wrote: "Wow!! That's a great news. :)"

the fans were overjoyed yesterday! 6 years break and then bam 2 novels in one year! :D

Petrik Audrey wrote: "Great review Petrik unlike you I’m a big fan of the codex alera saga so maybe I will try the Dresden books"

Thank you, Audrey! Ah I see. I'm not a fan of Codex Alera but this one was fun. Hopefully the next books will be even better! :)

message 9: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe Yes! So glad you're reading this!

Petrik Joe wrote: "Yes! So glad you're reading this!"

Cheers, Joe! I was going to read Discworld this year but ended up DNFing it. So might as well start Dresden instead! :D

message 11: by THE BIBLIOPHILE (new)

THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan) It gets better with the later books in the series. I started randomly with the series. I read book 14 first, then the 5th, then 7th and so on. My personal favorite was Skin Game though.

Skylar Phelps Nice review Petrik! Glad you liked it. You’ve heard correctly that it takes time before it gets awesome status but I would bet there’ll be a at least a couple five star ratings for you looking forward.

Petrik THE BIBLIOPHILE wrote: "It gets better with the later books in the series. I started randomly with the series. I read book 14 first, then the 5th, then 7th and so on. My personal favorite was Skin Game though."

Damn, randomly??? I'm so anti to doing that! xD I've heard so many amazing things about Skin Game! Still far away, but I look forward to getting to it! :)

Petrik Skylar wrote: "Nice review Petrik! Glad you liked it. You’ve heard correctly that it takes time before it gets awesome status but I would bet there’ll be a at least a couple five star ratings for you looking forw..."

Thank you, Skylar! That's what everyone told me. I have a good feeling here, hopefully my hope won't be jeopardized like my experience with WoT.... But I'll keep an open mind for the first four books of this series, at least they're short. I should be starting Fool Moon in a few days!

message 15: by Ginger (last edited Mar 25, 2020 09:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ginger Great review!
I'm so happy that his new books are coming out! I've been waiting for years.
I hope you enjoy this series Petrik. It's always been a fun, engaging and entertaining series for me to go back too!
I feel like you will love Bob, Mouse and Mister. Some of the characters in this book are just fantastic. =)

Tammie Perfect review Petrik! I completely agree with everything you said about the book. I also didn't click with the Codex Alera series, which was weird for me too.

Petrik Ginger wrote: "Great review!
I'm so happy that his new books are coming out! I've been waiting for years.

Thanks, Ginger! Yeah, it's been 6 years since Skin Game right? And then BAM! 2 books in a year. No idea how he kept it hidden all these years! xD

I think I will enjoy this series. I already enjoyed this one at least, I'll keep my expectations low for the next two or three books. I already like Bob and Mister! :D

Petrik Tammie wrote: "Perfect review Petrik! I completely agree with everything you said about the book. I also didn't click with the Codex Alera series, which was weird for me too."

Thanks, Tammie! It's weird right? I honestly thought I was going to enjoy Codex Alera, that's why I tried that one first. It almost made me gave up trying Dresden Files because of it. So lucky many readers have convinced me not to! :)

message 19: by THE BIBLIOPHILE (new)

THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan) Petrik wrote: "THE BIBLIOPHILE wrote: "It gets better with the later books in the series. I started randomly with the series. I read book 14 first, then the 5th, then 7th and so on. My personal favorite was Skin ..."

Hah, I understand. The series has its ups and downs. But, the lore and mythology is very well-integrated in the later books. The worldbuilding and the characters gain more depth and complexity. I think, you're gonna have one hell of a ride with Harry Dresden☺.

Petrik THE BIBLIOPHILE wrote: "Petrik wrote: "THE BIBLIOPHILE wrote: "It gets better with the later books in the series. I started randomly with the series. I read book 14 first, then the 5th, then 7th and so on. My personal fav..."

Woohoo! Very pleased to hear that. I think I certainly will have one hell of a ride with this series. it's one of my main priority to get through this series within this year! :)

message 21: by THE BIBLIOPHILE (new)

Enjoy the adventures and misadventures of Harry Dresden bro. The books are fun.

Peter K. We share a lot of the same opinions. That is exactly the way I felt reading those books. I started around 3 weeks ago and I just finished the third book in the series, and I have to say it does get better. The bulk of the second book is not too special (I actually think Book 2 was worse than Book 1) but the conclusion was great. I personally loved book 3. It really started to pick up and have an actual plot and interesting character development.

I'll be anticipating your review of Grave Peril!

Petrik Peter wrote: "We share a lot of the same opinions. That is exactly the way I felt reading those books. I started around 3 weeks ago and I just finished the third book in the series, and I have to say it does get..."

Glad to hear that, Peter! I have heard mixed things about the first three books in which people can't agree on which one was better and worse xD

But I'll keep my expectations in check and just read them. At least they're short! I should be getting to Fool Moon next week! We'll see! :)

Audrey It's a fun series that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Petrik Audrey wrote: "It's a fun series that doesn't take itself too seriously."

Noted! :)

message 26: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Tsunami the 2nd book is the weakest according to me

Petrik Thomas wrote: "the 2nd book is the weakest according to me

Listen to the audiobooks, way better experience as the VA does an incredible job"

Yeah, that seems to be what people agreed often!

As for audiobook, I can't do it... I heard great things about the audiobook of this series, but I just can't concentrate using audiobooks! :/

Adina I liked 2nd book, I don't think is that bad. Currently reading the 3rd one.

Petrik Adina wrote: "I liked 2nd book, I don't think is that bad. Currently reading the 3rd one."

Yayy! I hope I'll like the second book, too! Enjoy, Adina! I'll try to catch up soon! :D

Marilyn JB is such a great writer. I’ve read three of these books and they certainly get better! As you mentioned, it’s been 20 years and maybe we’re jaded as a society now with all the razzle dazzle we see in the advance of special effects. Lastly but not least Bob is a hoot!

Petrik Marilyn wrote: "JB is such a great writer. I’ve read three of these books and they certainly get better! As you mentioned, it’s been 20 years and maybe we’re jaded as a society now with all the razzle dazzle we se..."

Boob is a hoot! xD I need more of Bob!

Anyway, yeah, it's been 20 years and I think many readers (myself included) forgot or didn't know that it has been that long! That has happened with me for several books too. I thought it was recently published but nope, 10 years ago or something! :D

Jody Yes! I knew you would enjoy it, bro! Great review! I hope they continue to keep you interested. I like how each book has it's own plot, but also continues the main theme and progressing Harry's character. To be honest, the side characters in some of the installments are the best part. Enjoy, bro!

Petrik Jody wrote: "Yes! I knew you would enjoy it, bro! Great review! I hope they continue to keep you interested. I like how each book has it's own plot, but also continues the main theme and progressing Harry's cha..."

Thank you, bro! I was going to read Discworld as the long series for this year, but I tried Guards2! and noped out after 40%... xD

So, here I am! I'll try to spread out my reading of this series so I don't end up burned out, but it's a priority for me to read through all of it this year! :D

Jody Petrik wrote: "Jody wrote: "Yes! I knew you would enjoy it, bro! Great review! I hope they continue to keep you interested. I like how each book has it's own plot, but also continues the main theme and progressin..."

I completely understand! I usually read 3 books, then take a break for a while. I plan on finishing all the published books this year as well. Maybe we will cross paths reading the same book. That tends to happen to us about once a year. Lol! :D

Audrey Dresden Files also rotates through the side characters, so not everybody is in every book. It keeps the variety going. I think I just have one short story collection and then I am all caught up, finally.

I'm also making my way through Discworld. I loved Guards! Guards! Mort is my other favorite. But you have to be slightly mental to enjoy it.

Petrik Jody wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Jody wrote: "Yes! I knew you would enjoy it, bro! Great review! I hope they continue to keep you interested. I like how each book has it's own plot, but also continues the main theme..."

Reading 3 books and then a break is great, too. I usually do that, but my TBR is out of control and there are still so many books by other authors I want to read! xD

Let's hope our path through Dresden intersects! I think it should near the end!

Petrik Audrey wrote: "Dresden Files also rotates through the side characters, so not everybody is in every book. It keeps the variety going. I think I just have one short story collection and then I am all caught up, fi..."

One more! You can do it!

If Dresden didn't take itself seriously, I don't know why Guards2 or Pratchett is... I'm glad that you liked them, and many other readers, too. I've tried Guards2 and several of his books, none of them worked for me. Sounded like someone trying wayyyy too hard to make every line funny, then include some sprinkle of knowledge/satire, thenn back to funny again. I really didn't like it.

Timelord Iain I thought book 17 was supposed to be Mirror, Mirror... the book about Evil Harry from an alternate dimension... wonder what Battle Ground does to the 20 book plan?... Still great to be getting 2 books... I'm 12 books into a complete re-read, myself... Taking a break, after zerging through books 9-12 last week... only been a month or so since I started my re-read (including a ton of the short stories)... nice to see you liked this book, but I consider books 1-2 the weakest of the series, and it only gets better and better... book 7 is a personal favorite... and 12 (thus the push)

Petrik Timelord Iain wrote: "I thought book 17 was supposed to be Mirror, Mirror... the book about Evil Harry from an alternate dimension... wonder what Battle Ground does to the 20 book plan?... Still great to be getting 2 bo..."

I have no idea, I just started the series. But it seems like it will be Battle Ground; it has been confirmed by Butcher himself, after all! Yeah, many readers have said the same thing that the first 1-3 the weakest of the series. That's encouraging to me, because this was enjoyable enough already imo! :D

Audrey I liked the third book a lot. I think that's the first with Michael.

Timelord Iain Just answered my own question from google/interviews... looks like Battle Ground was originally part of Peace talks, but the book was getting crazy long... so I assume Mirror, Mirror is 18 now... and Butcher expects to wrap the series up in 25 books, including the capstone trilogy (which I wasn't including in the 20 books above)... the real question is if/how he'll reshuffle the story to keep the Denarian book as book 20 (they show up in books 5/10/15)... or if they'll break norm and be book 21, because of this...

Timelord Iain Audrey wrote: "I liked the third book a lot. I think that's the first with Michael."

During my re-read, I found out how much of the plot I jumbled together... book 3 is definitely when Michael shows up... I thought Mouse was added sooner than book 6, tho...

Petrik Audrey wrote: "I liked the third book a lot. I think that's the first with Michael."

I hope I'll feel the same! Fingerscrossed! :)

message 44: by Petrik (last edited Mar 26, 2020 08:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Petrik Timelord Iain wrote: "Just answered my own question from google/interviews... looks like Battle Ground was originally part of Peace talks, but the book was getting crazy long... so I assume Mirror, Mirror is 18 now... a..."

Ah I see! Well, it's still a long way for me either way. I have no idea what you just talked about, man. I hope none of them are spoilers. I'm still at the beginning of the series! xD

Audrey I had no idea there was a pattern to the Denarian plotline. Interesting.

Book 6 has my favorite opening line: The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Petrik Audrey & Iain, I appreciate the comments and y'all enthusiasm. But I have only read the first book, and I prefer finding all of these on my own. Maybe it's better to talk about the details of what's going to come next in private message rather than here? xD

Audrey Sorry. I didn't think it was spoiler-y. But I get you.

Petrik Audrey wrote: "Sorry. I didn't think it was spoiler-y. But I get you."

No worries! They probably aren't! I just prefer finding most things on my own, and I can't gauge yet whether any of these are spoilery or not because I'm still in book 1 of available 17! xD

Menestrel the series gets better after no 3 then the quality increases with each book

Timelord Iain Petrik wrote: "Audrey wrote: "Sorry. I didn't think it was spoiler-y. But I get you."

Understood... I was trying to avoid any real spoilers...

« previous 1